BOCLAIR ROAD, NEW KILPATRICK CEMETERY, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, GATES, BOUNDARY WALL AND PATHWAYS (Ref:50221)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 23/03/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5567 7239.
Opened 1903. Pentagonal-plan cemetery and office to SW. Pathways laid out to form outline of Roman Centurion's helmet. Douglas of Mains Mausoleum to centre of cemetery. Two exposed areas of Antonine Wall stone base (SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT) within cemetery grounds.
GATE PIERS, GATES AND BOUNDARY WALL: massive, square-plan ashlar gatepiers. Tall, heavily scored and tooled ashlar shafts with raised base course and strip quoins; classical moulded string course to head; shallowly ogee-curved capital with banded string course. Projecting, rectangular, pagoda-shaped caps with large ball finials. Art Nouveau wrought-iron and cast-iron gates; central, stylised thistle emblem to plain railings; tall outer railings. Wrought-iron, barred pedestrian gate to left of gateway; curved walls link to low, ashlar boundary wall, set forward from gateway (formerly with iron railings, now with hedges to rear).
DOUGLAS OF MAINS MAUSOLEUM: 1906. Rectangular-plan, raised, open burial plot; low outer boundary walls of coursed, stugged red sandstone; advanced base course, splayed at top; plain, thin rectangular copes; raised entrance to S side; plain rectangular buttresses to centre of E and W walls. Flat, raised inner burial area; loose pebble covering; commemorative plaque to N wall with Douglas of Mains crest and raised lettering.
GRAVESTONES AND MEMORIALS: elaborately carved Celtic Cross (1927) in central area of cemetery, also in memory of Douglas of Mains family member, Douglas Campbell; foliated shaft and cross with medieval knight carving to head of shaft and heraldic shield to bottom; three stage base with flanking stones to either side. To N, large granite headstone (1940) dedicated to Eliza Templeton Hammond Couper and William Ramsay Law. Low, tapered granite base; circular carving to upper centre of gravestone; decorative bronze relief of 2 trumpeters. Also to N, a tripartite granite gravestone (1926), to Robina Hutton, Alexander Monteath McLundie and family. Round mosaic to upper centre of stone, depicting bird in sunlight, inscribed, FREEDOM AND LIGHT. Larger, rectangular mosaic to rear, portraying woman looking to heavens.
New Kilpatrick Cemetery was opened in 1903, following a competition to design the new cemetery layout. The winning design showed pathways laid out to form in plan the outline of a Roman centurions helmet, in recognition of the fact that a particularly well preserved section of the Antonine Wall (SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT) crosses the centre of the cemetery. Two areas of the wall have been excavated to their stone base course and remain exposed. The cemetery paths were gradually laid out as the cemetery was filled, appearing complete for the first time on the Ordnance Survey map revised between 1936-1938. There is no trace of the cemetery or lodge on the 2nd edition map from the 1890s, showing only open fields at this time. The cemetery is bordered to the left by the Old Bearden Conservation Area, but excludes any of the cemetery grounds. Another, earlier, Mausoleum of the Douglas of Mains family is found in the churchyard of New Kilpatrick Parish Church. The mausoleum in New Kilpatrick cemetery was installed in 1906, in what was eventually to be the centre of the cemetery and the Ordnance Survey map of 1914 shows the mausoleum to be at the very rear of the half developed cemetery.
New Kilpatrick Cemetery lies within the amenity zone for the Antonine Wall recommended in D N Skinner The Countryside of the Antonine Wall (1973), and which will form the basis of the buffer zone, yet to be defined, for the proposed Antonine Wall World Heritage Site.
2ND Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map (1894-98), 3RD Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map(1914), 4TH Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map (1936-38). J Gifford and F A Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND, pp215-216. Other information courtesy of Mr R Philp, Superintendent, New Kilpatrick Cemetery.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.