KINCARDINE BRIDGE (Ref:50078)
This building is in the Fife Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 23/02/2005.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 92561 87167.
Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners, Westminster, 1930-31, with architectural advice from James Miller. Major road bridge with swing span (now fixed shut).
2696ft total length with series of shallow-arched spans. Swing span, 364ft, swivels at centre with cantilevered spans to either side. Series of gantries span roadway. Above centre, control cabin. Original plant in machine room at centre pier. Flanking swing span, 7 identical 100ft steel spans (cantilevers, central 50ft spans resting on girders projecting 25ft from piers). In addition, at Kincardine end, 3 62ft 6in spans (also steel) over land. At opposite end, 9 50ft reinforced concrete spans and piled viaduct, also reinforced concrete, 265ft long.
A large and important swing span bridge. The swing span was fixed shut in 1989. When completed, it was the largest road bridge in Britain with the largest swing span in Europe.
J Guthrie Brown was engineer-in-charge under Sir Alexander Gibb. Building began in 1933 and the bridge was opened on 29th October 1936. The contractors were the Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co Ltd, although much of the work was subcontracted. Other subcontractors included: Sir William Arrol who provided the swing span turntable; Bromsgrove Guild, the lamp standards; Tunnel Cement Co and the Cement Marketing Co, both of London, provided the enormous amount of cement filler (2 types) required.
The swing span turns on a roller path mounted on a steel cylinder containing two sets of turning gear - a Ward-Leonard set to control turning and a standby diesel engine of 150 horsepower. The control desk and oak and teak joinery was by Scott Morton Ltd.
Built under the direction of the joint committee representing Fife, Stirling and Clackmannan counties and Dunfermline and Falkirk burghs. Pier foundations were obtained by sinking 14ft 16in hollow steel cylinders with their tops kept above high water level. The river bed was excavated to bedrock from within these cylinders. A geological fault line at the south end rendered it necessary for the foundations there to be made on groups of piles.
Photo electric cells, used here for the first time, controlled the exact location of the swing span. Harrison noted that it was so accurately set on its track that its 1600 tons could be turned through 90 degrees by three farthings worth of electricity.
The bridge spans the Firth of Forth from Tulliallan Parish in Fife to Airth Parish in Falkirk.
THE OPENING OF THE KINCARDINE ON FORTH BRIDGE 29.10.36 (1936). John Guthrie Brown, MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF CIVIL ENGINEERS (1937) pp687-770. Godfrey Harrison, ALEXANDER GIBB THE STORY OF AN ENGINEER (1950).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.