Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

FURNACE VILLAGE, FORMER CHARCOAL STORELB49844

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/05/2004
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Inveraray
NGR
NN 02605 99
Coordinates
202605, 700099

Description

Impressive mid 18th century, rectangular-plan, rubble former charcoal store built into slope to NE with later alterations. Built as part of an iron smelting works by Duddon & Co of Cumbria and converted to a Drill Hall in the 1880s. Large doorway to SW probably enlarged. 4 inserted window openings to NW and 2 to SE. Former loading door remains to NE. Gable ends remodeled to form shallow segmental-ended gables. Corrugated iron segmental-shaped roof.

Statement of Special Interest

The iron smelting works at Furnace (consisting of the blast furnace/casting-house/blowing-house - SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT, charcoal store and remains of an enclosure) document one of the largest and, at its peak in productivity, most successful charcoal iron establishments in the Scottish Highlands. The only other comparable example being at Bonawe - SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT. The store which stands to the NE of the nearby blast furnace is therefore recognized as an important and rare surviving industrial building, documenting the mid 18th century iron process in Scotland. In 1755 Duddon & Co. set about establishing the smelting works at what was then a farm steading known as Craleckin. The operating company thus became known as the Argyll Furnace Co, probably to differentiate itself from its parent company in Cumbria. The land was leased from the Duke of Argyll for an initial 57 year period. It is recorded that by 1779, 33 people were listed as being residents of Argyll Furnace - [RCAHMS]. Furnace was chosen as the ideal location by Duddon & Co as there was an abundance of nearby timber suitable for charcoal burning. However iron production on this site was short lived, production ceased in 1812 when the Argyll Furnace Co. quit. Although the Argyll Estate advertised a new lease, no offers were forthcoming, and the furnace never went into production again.

Being built into the slope enabled charcoal to be loaded into the store at ground level to the rear NE, and easily emptied from the front SW. At some point after the Argyll Furnace Co. quit, the store became un-roofed, as shown in the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (it is interesting to note at this time there was a small roofed outshot to the SE, it is unknown what this was).

It is recorded that in the 1880s the store was converted to a Drill Hall, it is probable that it was at this time the windows were inserted and the roofline was altered. This subsequent re-use as a Drill Hall is of good local interest. The store has latterly been used as coal store and workshop.

References

Bibliography

J Hume, The Industrial Archaeology Of Scotland 2. The Highlands And Islands (1976) p.46 p.151; RCAHMS, Monuments of Industry (1986) p.114-115; RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS OF ARGYLL VOL 7 (1992) p.486-491.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FURNACE VILLAGE, FORMER CHARCOAL STORE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/04/2024 07:41