BEARSDEN, 44 PENDICLE ROAD INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:49617)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 20/01/2004.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 53851 71283.
J G Atchison & Son, 1939. 2-storey, 3-bay, T-plan, flat-roofed International Style house; 2-bay, single storey garage extension on ground sloping to SW. Rendered brick and exposed brick banding at ground floor framing windows and entrance; stepped brick eaves course.SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central doorway, 2-leaf glazed and timber doors, plain fanlight, shallow cantilevered canopy; circular nautical window above. Wide advanced bay to right, central horizontal windows with flanking wrap-around windows to angles at ground and 1st floors; horizontal windows to left at ground and 1st floors. Double flat-roofed garage to far left.NE ELEVATION: central horizontal windows at ground and 1st floors.NW (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced bay to left, late 20th century glazed double doors (former window), horizontal window at 1stfloor; tall narrow stair window to centre, small window at below. Advanced bowed single storey flat-roofed section to right hand bay with central door and paired flanking windows; horizontal window at 1st floor with central door, leading to balcony. Double flat-roofed garage to far right.SW ELEVATION: advanced single storey garage at ground floor; 2 circular nautical windows flanking raised shouldered chimney-breast at ground floor directly above garage extension. uPVC look-a-like windows. Flat roof; tall narrow brick-coped rendered stacks; circular clay cans.INTERIOR: original layout still largely intact (coals and larder to rear of plan converted into larger kitchen accommodation). Central stair with decorative glass window (depicting springing deer). Some original ironmongery.BOUNDARY WALL & GATEPIERS: stepped, low coped rendered wall to SE with 2 pairs of plain gatepiers.
Good example of the International Style, typical of the period but not found extensively in Scotland. Bearsden expanded significantly in the 1930s when bungalows and modest 2-storey houses were the norm. Some flat-roofed Modern houses did appear in the area, a number of which are listed. The most distinguished of these are found in Carse View Drive, Kilmardinny Avenue and Kilmardinny Crescent by J R H MacDonald (see separate listings). 44 Pendicle Road was built by the architect for himself. Atchison is also known to have built a more traditional pitched roof house at 42 Pendicle Road for his mother.
Original architectural drawing, dated February 1939, held with current owner (2003). C McKean THE SCOTTISH THIRTIES (1987) p179.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.