DRYMEN ROAD, BEARSDEN NORTH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) CHURCH INCLUDING CHURCH HALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:48595)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 25/04/2002.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5421 7209.
Henry Higgins, 1887-9; N hall 1906; traceried window 1923. Irregular cruciform-plan gothic church on corner site with attached 2-stage bell tower, 4-bay aisless nave, transepts and steeply-pitched roof. Squared and snecked bull-faced rubble with ashlar dressings. Raised base course and moulded string course. 2-stage coped buttresses; traceried roundel; round-headed, pointed-arch and trefoil-headed windows; hoodmoulds with label stops. Raked cills and chamfered reveals.E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with buttressed gabled porch to centre, steps up to broad moulded doorway, narrow lights to returns and deep-set 2-leaf timber door with multi-pane leaded fanlight, flanking bays each with 2 small trefoil-headed lights; cross-finialled gablehead with large raised-centre triple lancet, glazed oculi over outer lights and hoodmould over centre light giving way to further small square-headed light.S (THORN ROAD) ELEVATION: bay to left of centre with advanced gable with flanking buttresses, row of 5 lancets at 1st stage and stepped string course above giving way to large raised-centre triple lancet; tower (see below) in re-entrant angle to right and single lancet to set-back bay at outer right.SE TOWER: tall 1st stage engaged to N and W, with single light close to ground and 2 further lights high up to E, 2 lights to S; string course over giving way to slightly reduced 2nd stage with tall timber-louvered opening to each face and chamfered angles corbelled to diminutive open-arcaded turrets with polygonal caps breaking into main polygonal roof with decorative cast-iron weathervane.N ELEVATION: gabled transept with 2 lights to each return projecting in bay to right of centre and 2 further small lights to outer right; 3 tall narrow lights to left and 5 trefoil-headed lights to small polygonal-roofed canted stair tower at outer left.W ELEVATION: broad gable to left with smaller gable projecting from centre with cross- and quatrefoil-traceried circular window, low extension projecting at ground. Set-back bay to right with 2 small lights.Multi-pane leaded, margined glazing. Coloured glass to circular window and figurative memorial window depicting 'FIDES' (Faith) and 'PATIENTIA' (Endurance). Red tiles. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.INTERIOR: galleried with fixed timber pews, boarded dadoes, decorative plasterwork cornice and ribbed vaulted roof. Original part-glazed screen to E; polygonal cast-iron columns supporting gallery with carved blind-arcaded front; pipe organ in panelled timber housing to N transept. Timber-panelled chancel with carved detail of trefoil-headed blind arcade, choir stalls, fretwork-carved Communion Table and polygonal pulpit.CHURCH HALL: piend-roofed, rectangular-plan church hall to NW. Stugged, squared and snecked rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Pointed-arch windows. Red tiles.GATEPIERS: coped, circular bull-faced rubble gatepiers (2 pairs).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built for the Free Church congregation of Bearsden at a cost of ?3000. The foundation stone was laid on the 10th August 1888, and the church was opened on the 28 February 1889. The gallery, organ and chancel were added later, probably in 1923 as this date would coincide with the traceried window. It became the North Parish Church in 1929.
McKinlay & Hamilton NEW KILPATRICK (1997). S Peters BEARSDEN IN OLD PICTURE POSTCARDS (1983).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.