CLACHNAHARRY, CLAN BATTLE MONUMENT (Ref:48262)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 29/10/2001.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 645 464.
1821. Remains of 3-stage pillar monument. Large droved ashlar blocks on flat-coped circular rubble base. Base surmounted by 6 pyramidally-coped square-section pillars alternating with inset, unusual axe-head railings enclosing rectangular-plan plinth inscribed 'CLANCHATTAN' (to S) and 'MUNRO' (to N), also eroded Latin inscription (see Notes).
An old photograph shows the plinth surmounted by a stepped cap with tall set-back rectangular-plan 2nd stage giving way to further flat stepped cap and circular 3rd stage with inset figure (see below). Built by Major Hugh Robert Duff of Muirtown House to commemorate a battle between the Munros and MacKintoshes which took place some time between 1333 and 1434. Tradition says that the Munros of Easter Ross were returning home (through MacKintosh territory) after a cattle- raiding expedition in Angus but refused to pay the customary tax on their plunder. As a result they were ambushed at Clachnaharry and in the ensuing battle the MacKintosh chief was killed. The Inverness Journal of 29th June 1821 (quoted in the 1990 Inverness Courier) describes the monument thus "... The column is 26ft high, surmounted by a leaden statue of Fame, gilt, and four feet high, and the whole surrounded by cast-iron railing, representing battle axes; including the rock, the figure is 100 feet above the road."
Other sources describe the pillar as between 14 and 15ft in height, and the figure as Mercury. The monument was damaged during a storm in 1951, and the base and fence restored in 2000. The Latin inscription is thought to read "Between these high, red rocks their bones are collected".
INVERNESS COURIER (6th November, 1990, 8th February, 1994 and 24th April, 2001). Groome's GAZETTEER VOL I, p262.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.