BEARSDEN, KILMARDINNY CRESCENT, WHITE LODGE (Ref:48081)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 22/06/2001.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5506 7280.
J R H MacDonald (J M Contractors Ltd), 1933. 2-storey, 3-bay International Style villa with stepped, flat roof. Smooth rendered, whitewashed. Deep brick base and eaves course.NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Tall set-back bay to centre with broad porch, steps up to deep-set plain-moulded doorpiece, part-glazed timber door and flanking paired narrow lights, tall centre window with flanking smaller windows to 1st floor. Lower flanking bays each with wide-centre tripartite to each floor and 4-light windows wrapping around outer angle.SW ELEVATION: full-height chimney breast projecting at centre and breaking eaves into stepped stack. Wide-centre tripartite to each floor at right and further window (see above) to outer left angle. Door to single storey sun porch (see SE) at outer right.SE (REAR) ELEVATION: stepped elevation with 7-light curved window to each floor of semicircular centre bay and window to each floor of left return, narrow bay to right with narrow light to ground and window above, slightly advanced penultimate bay to right with 4-light window wrapping around left angle at each floor, further advanced service bay to outer right with openings at ground and wide-centre tripartite at 1st floor; original sun porch to outer left with French window behind and tripartite at 1st floor.NE ELEVATION: bays to right of centre mirror those to SW; slightly lower advanced bay to left with window to ground, 2 further windows above and garage door on return to right.Original lying multi-pane glazing patterns to metal casement windows; replacement glazing to porch. Flat-coped rendered stacks with some cans.
Between 1933 and 1936, no fewer than eight flat-roofed International Style houses were built by the MacDonald father and son partnership in nearby Carse View Drive. Another similar example 'built round the corner' (McKean) for MacDonald's own use is presumed to refer to White Lodge. A former owner suggested that the architect was T Harold Hughes rather than MacDonald, the
latter being merely the contractors. As MacDonald was not trained to the profession it may be that he consulted with Hughes for aspects of his designs. Many of the modern features displayed at White Lodge were exhibited a year later at the Daily Mail Ideal Home Exhibition of 1934 in 'The Village of Tomorrow'. MacDonald wrote a book on modern design entitled MODERN HOUSING, the result of travels on the continent and almost certainly a sales push for the family firm.
C McKean THE SCOTTISH THIRTIES (1987), pp 171-3. D S Ryan THE IDEAL HOME (1997) p72.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.