UPPER GREENSIDE, ANCILLARY BUILDING (Ref:47353)
This building is in the Perth And Kinross Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 01/09/2000.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NO 2085 1689.
Possibly 16th century in origin. Tall single storey (formerly 2-storey), 2-part building (former laird's house and chapel?) with brick-vaulted ceiling and pointed arch ecclesiastical style E window. Random rubble with red sandstone dressings, some droved.
N ELEVATION: taller bay to left with door off-centre right at ground and tall window (door?) to left at 1st floor with small square blinded opening to right, further door in broader bay to right, all openings timber-blocked unless stated.
E ELEVATION: gabled elevation with rubble dividing band and tall pointed arch window at 1st floor,
block finial at gablehead (possibly base of former finial?).
S ELEVATION: broader bay to left with square window (altered from door) off-centre right at ground and tiny square opening to left. Slightly recessed bay to right of centre with square window to 1st floor left and small square window to right, evidence of almost full-height gabled building to outer right.
W ELEVATION: altered gabled elevation with large sliding door to left and projecting stone in gablehead.
Fixed glass bricks in windows to S and E. Corrugated plastic roofing. Coped ashlar stack with ashlar coped skews an d block skewputts to E and centre, concrete skews to W.
INTERIOR: E part with tall pointed brick-vaulted ceiling (keel-shape); E elevation of dividing wall with part droved sandstone lintel to fireplace
opening at ground left and doorway to right; 1st floor with sandstone lintel and uprights to fireplace off-centre right and narrow doorway to left.
This ancillary building presents a challenge of interpretation with its ecclesiastical references. "Dr Jamieson refers to vestiges of streets and buildings" which Davidson has no doubt are "the foundations of houses which formerly stood in the field, now part of the farm of Greenside, and opposite the road leading to Ferryfield. This small group of houses or clachan is marked on Ainsle's map of the counties of Fife and Kinross published 1775, and is called Newton". Further reference to Greenside appears in The Chronicle as "lands of over and west polgaigny (Pitgrunzie?) now Greenside with yr. pertinents set to John Wemyes bor.yr.(sic) to Patrick Wemyes". In 1585 Patrick Wemyes "removed from Dunbarney (Fasti)". In the early years of the 17th century "the third part of the manor house and lands of Pitgrugnie (Pitgrunzie)" were occupied by Rob Fynnistoun .
Maj A R Davidson (FSA) Scot THE PICTISH CHRONICLE AND THE CHURCH LANDS OF ABERNETHY, AN HISTORICAL ENQUIRY. Ainsle, map of Fife & Kinross.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.