RACHAN MILL FARM, MILLSIDE, OLD MILL COTTAGE AND SAWMILL COTTAGE (Ref:46525)
This building is in the Scottish Borders Council and the
Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 03/11/1999.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1148 3446.
Circa 1845 with later additions and alterations. Asymmetrical, near Z-plan range comprising single storey with attic, 3-bay, gabled cottage to left ('Millside'); single storey, 2-bay cottage at centre ('Old Mill Cottage'); single storey with attic, 3-bay cottage to right ('Sawmill Cottage'). Millside: squared and snecked whinstone to front (rake-jointed in part); rubble at rear; droved cream sandstone quoins and long and short surrounds to openings. Old Mill Cottage: rendered; tabbed red sandstone margins. Sawmill Cottage: squared and snecked whinstone to front (rake-jointed in part); rubble at rear; droved red sandstone quoins and long and short surrounds to openings. E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION, MILLSIDE: part-glazed boarded timber door centred at ground; 3-pane fanlight; bipartite window to right; gabled dormer aligned above. Projecting gabled bay to left with bipartite window centred at ground; single window in gablehead. OLD MILL COTTAGE: timber panelled door to outer left; single window subsequent bay to right. SAWMILL COTTAGE: timber panelled door at centre; single windows flanking at ground; piended, bipartite dormers aligned above.W (REAR) ELEVATION, MILLSIDE: part-glazed boarded timber door off-set to right of centre; bipartite window to right; single windows in 2 bays to left; lean-to addition to outer left. OLD MILL COTTAGE: L-plan with brick-built, engaged polygonal porch in re-entrant angle; various openings.SAWMILL COTTAGE: window off-set to right of centre.
An interesting, free-standing cottage group, set to the N of the similarly detailed Rachan Mill Farm - see separate list entry. Apparently contemporary with the farm, the cottages are listed primarily for their group value. The early OS maps show a sluice running behind the cottages with a mill (since demolished) to the W. Old Mill Cottage and Sawmill Cottage empty 1999.
Ordnance Survey map, 1856 (cottages evident - marked with 'Corn Mill' to W). Ordnance Survey map, 1898 (cottages evident - marked with 'Saw Mill' to W).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.