RACHAN MILL FARM INCLUDING FARMHOUSE, STEADING, ANCILLARY STRUCTURE AND BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:46524)
This building is in the Scottish Borders Council and the
Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/11/1999.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1145 3441.
Circa 1845 with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with later single storey porch at rear; separate steading set behind. Squared and snecked whinstone (rake-jointed in part); harled elevation to S; cream sandstone dressings. Eaves course; crowstepped-patterned eaves to gableheads; sandstone dormerheads. Droved quoins and long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; timber mullions; chamfered cills. Original U-plan steading with later square-plan range adjoined to S forming double courtyard. Single storey ancillary structure to SW.
FARMHOUSE, E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: slightly advanced
central bay with timber panelled door at ground; plate glass fanlight; keystoned surround; finialled, gabled dormerhead to keystoned, bipartite window breaking eaves above. Bipartite windows at ground in bays flanking entrance; gabled dormerheads to bipartite windows breaking eaves above. N (SIDE) ELEVATION: bipartite window at ground to right; single window centred at 1st floor. Lean-to porch recessed to outer right. W (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting porch off-set to right of centre; single window at ground to right. Single window centred at ground; gabled dormerhead to single window breaking eaves above. S (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window at 1st floor off-set to left of centre. Predominantly lying-pane timber glazing. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; beak skewputts. Coped apex stacks (part-rendered); circular terracotta cans. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
STEADING: original single and 2-storey, U-plan courtyard with later single storey, square-plan courtyard adjoined to S. Squared and snecked whinstone (rake-jointed in part); cream sandstone dressings. Eaves course in part; crowsteppedpatterned eaves to gableheads. Droved quoins and long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; boarded timber doors throughout. N COURTYARD: N RANGE, S (COURTYARD)
ELEVATION: 2-storey, 6-bay. Gabled bay breaking eaves off-set to left of centre with timber door at ground to left; single window to right; single window centred in gablehead above. Timber door at ground off-set to right of centre; single window to right; timber doors in bays to outer left and right. E (FRONT) ELEVATION: gable end to left with single window centred at ground; round-arched window above. 2-bay gable end slightly recessed to right with round-arched, 2-leaf doors in both bays at ground; round-arched window centred above. Bay recessed to outer right with round-arched, 2-leaf door at ground. W RANGE, E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: single storey, 4-bay. 2-leaf timber doors in 2 bays to left of centre; part-ventilated single windows in 2 bays to right.
S RANGE, N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: single storey, 5-bay. Single window in bay to outer left; timber doors in remaining bays to right. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with pointed-arched window centred in apex. S COURTYARD: E RANGE, E (REAR) ELEVATION: blind. S RANGE, S (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 large timber doors flanking centre. W RANGE, W (REAR) ELEVATION: various openings. Timber glazing throughout; rooflights. Grey slate roofs. INTERIORS: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, rectangular-plan, rubble-built block with walled enclosure to side.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded timber door to left. Timber gate accessing enclosure adjoined to right. Piended grey slate roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low rubble walls partially enclosing site.
An unusually intact mid 19th century farmhouse with both its original U-plan steading and the later, adjoining square-plan courtyard in place. The detailing remains good throughout and the tailored form of the Improvement steading make it particularly notable. See separate list entry for the nearby group of cottages - 'Rachan Mill Farm, Millside, Oldmill Cottage & Sawmill Cottage'.
Ordnance Survey map, 1856 (house and U-plan courtyard evident). Ordnance Survey map, 1898 (later square-plan courtyard evident).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.