SANDAY, KETTLETOFT PIER, INCLUDING SLIPWAY (Ref:46402)
This building is in the Orkney Islands Council and the
Cross And Burness Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 16/09/1999.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HY 6595 3843.
Parallel piers with slipway between, forming narrow harbour. Original coursed rubble pier with flagstone pavement to south, 1833, extended, concrete, 1883; stugged, sandstone ashlar steps to water with cast-iron railings to N side. Later, (20th century), shorter, hook-ended concrete pier to N; modern steel (?) railing to N side. Central slipway built of vertically-set flagstones; cast-iron capstan, Westerman, Genoa to landward end.
ORIGINAL PIER: 2-storey, 9-bay random rubble (harl-pointed to N) former storehouse to landward end; regularly fenestrated; uPVC windows; Welsh slate roof. Small 2-storey square-plan light tower adjoining single storey, piended roof store to seaward end. Adjacent single-storey brick gabled store.
SLIPWAY: small, single storey, square-plan gabled weighbridge hut at head of slipway; cement-rendered; cast-iron weighbridge to E side.
Although not as important a fishing harbour as Whitehall on the island of Stronsay, Kettletoft was nevertheless a significant harbour on Sanday and supported a small settlement throughout the 19th century. The substantial 2-storey store at the pierhead was originally entered through an arched doorway; now a square-headed entrance leads to a general store.
J Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, VOL II, (1979), p250; Leslie Burgher, ORKNEY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991), p 90; J Gifford, HIGHLAND AND ISLANDS, (Buildings of Scotland Series), (1992), p 356.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.