25 MACFARLANE ROAD, THE WATERBOARD HOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES (Ref:46095)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 06/04/1999.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5502 7127.
Late 19th century. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, T-plan gabled villa with single storey L-plan wing. White harled with applied half-timbered gables. Timber bargeboards; exposed rafter ends. Irregular fenestration of predominantly tripartite windows with timber mullions and transoms.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced porch with catslide roof and 2-leaf timber-boarded door with side lights; glazed returns; small dormer above. Tripartite window to right with dormer above; tripartite canted window with cornice in 2-storey gable to left; tripartite window above.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: tall wallhead stacks to side elevations. Irregularly fenestrated single storey wing to rear.
Variety of casement windows. Grey slate roofs, jerkin-headed service wing to right at SE elevation. Pair of 20th century skylights to rear. Wallhead stacks with short red clay cans. Plastic and cast-iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped squared and snecked rubble walls; pedestrian and vehicular gates to left and right of house at SE elevation, gatepiers in round-headed field gate form, contemporary with house, vertically boarded timber gates with railed upper section.
A well-designed and prominent small villa, built for the Glasgow Corporation waterworks as a watchman's house to oversee the nearby water main valve chamber. A number of watchmen's cottages were constructed at critical points along the course of the conduit, which runs from Loch Katrine to Mugdock and Craigmaddie reservoirs and thence into Glasgow, to ensure the safety and upkeep of the water supply system. This house is the best architecturally (reflecting its up-market location) and least altered of all these cottages.
The Glasgow Corporation Water Works system, which brings water down to Glasgow from Loch Katrine, was admired internationally as an engineering marvel when it was opened in 1860. It was one of the most ambitious civil engineering schemes to have been undertaken in Europe since Antiquity, employing the most advanced surveying and construction techniques available, including the use of machine moulding and vertical casting technologies to produce the cast-iron pipes. The scheme represents the golden age of municipal activity in Scotland and not only provided Glasgow with fresh drinking water, thereby paving the way for a significant increase in hygiene and living standards, but also a source of hydraulic power that was indispensable to the growth of Glasgow¿s industry as a cheap and clean means of lifting and moving heavy plant in docks, shipyards and warehouses. The civic pride in this achievement is visible in every structure connected with the scheme. The scheme was built in two main phases following Acts of 1855 and 1885. The 1855 phase was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859 and was fully operational by 1860.
List description updated following thematic review of Glasgow waterworks, 2008.
shown on 2nd edition OS map (1899). RCAHMS and Jelle Muylle, Glasgow Corporation Water Works Related Structures, Phase II: Milngavie / Craigmaddie reservoirs and Glasgow City Centre Supply Distribution (survey report, not published, 2008).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.