CRAIGIEHALL, WALLED GARDEN, INCLUDING GATEPIERS (Ref:45433)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/03/1998.
Group Items: See notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 1671 7550.
Alexander McGill, 1708. Rectangular walled garden, linked to Craigiehall at SW, comprising random rubble and brick walls with coping, and pair of later 20th century gates. Red brick harl-pointing and lining inner face to N wall, capped by rubble course. Random arrangement of rubble buttresses. Infilled doorway, with droved margins. Segmental-arched red brick doorway.
GATEPIERS: Alexander McGill, early 18th century. Rectangular sandstone ashlar gatepiers, between walled garden and house; square plinths; carved panels with floreate ribbon swags to shafts; corniced coping with ball finials on rounded bases and square plinths. Also, pair with blank panels to rear, without ball finials.
A Group with Craigiehall, including Dovecot, Grotto, Grotto Bridge, Sundials and Stable Block (see separate listings).
The walled garden was laid out at the request of the 1st Marquess of Annandale, and would have originally contained various greenhouses.
The garden now contains a symmetrical building (Bowhill Gibson and Laing, 1966) of pre-cast concrete, steel and glass, used as the Headquarters office block, and called the Annandale Block. The building is not much taller than the surrounding walls, and is fairly sympathetic to the site.
The harled walls between the gatepiers have cyma recta corniced coping.
2 sets of bull-faced, squared and snecked sandstone gatepiers have been added to the E elevation of the walled garden for vehicular access to the Annandale block.
C B Innes, CRAIGIEHALL (Limited edition by Army Headquarters Scotland, 1996).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.