This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1971.
Group Items: See notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 1667 7542.
Sir William Bruce, 1695-99. 2-storey with raised basement and attic, 6-bay rectangular plan Classical villa, with substantial additions to N, by William Burn (circa 1830), David Bryce (1852) and Robert Lorimer (1926). Polished ashlar sandstone, with raised rusticated quoins. Channelled basement. Cornices to windows of principal floor with pulvinated frieze.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-bay, with centre 2 advanced. Flight of steps to architraved door at centre of principal floor, with carved urn in swagged cavetto roundel above, flanked by single windows; single windows at 1st floor; capped by pediment, with date 1699 and coat-of-arms in tympanum, surmounted by pineapple. 3 evenly disposed dormers set between bays. Advanced 3-bay pavilion at outer right, replacing former quadrant link, now with flat roof, by William Burn, circa 1830, with single window at each floor in reveal to left.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay with loggia at ground in central bay, flanked by single windows in outer bays, supporting canted window, with wrought-iron balustrade above, at principal floor; single window at outer left. 2 windows flanking smaller window at centre of 1st floor, with single windows at outer bays.
W ELEVATION: 6-bay with projecting 2-bay central block, capped by pediment, with coat-of-arms in tympanum. 3-bay bow dining-room extension to outer left (William Burn). Window to each floor in each bay. 3 evenly disposed bipartite dormer windows set between bays (1953).
N ELEVATION: Burn addition spanning elevation. 3 bays slightly advanced to right of centre; basement; window at outer left, and ashlar staircase with wrought-iron handrail clasping corner to outer right. Principal floor; tripartite window with blind side lights at centre, panelled and glazed timber door in bay at right, window in bay at left. 1st floor, blank at centre with regular fenestration in flanking bays. Elevation at left of centre obscured by Bryce (staff) wing projecting to N. Adjoined again by L-plan 1950s addition extending N.
Variety of timber sash and case windows, in small-pane glazing pattern; piend and platform roof, 1953, with graded grey slates.
INTERIOR: 17th century apartments, at ground floor, by Bruce. Panels, sopraporta paintings, including some probably by Norie, and carved wooden Gibbons-esque ornamentation; wrought-iron balustrade between principal and 1st floors, with floral decoration, and incorporating monograms of 2nd Earl of Annandale and wife. Minimal additions by Lorimer. Basement range recesses.
PAVILION AND SERVICE COURT: low 2-storey former pavilion to NE, 2 x 1-bay, small windows to ground, larger to 1st floor ( aligned with principal floor); remnants of earlier service ranges, including work of 1950s to NE.
A Group with Craigiehall Dovecot, Grotto, Grotto Bridge, Stable Court, Sundials and Walled Garden (see separate listings).
Bruce built Craigiehall for the 2nd Earl of Annandale, a distant relative, replacing a castellated house that stood on the same site. Craigiehall was referred to in the reign of David I (1124-1153), when the estate was owned by a John De Craigie. A Craigie heiress married into the Stewart of Durisdeer family, who owned Craigiehall until 1643, when it was sold to the John Fairholm, the Treasurer of the City of Edinburgh. His granddaughter Sophia, her father's heir, married William Johnstone, the 2nd Earl of Annandale, in 1682 and they set about building a larger residence at Craigiehall in the 1690's. Their initials, SCA and WEA (Sophia Countess of Annandale and William Earl of Annandale, respectively), and coat-of-arms are to be seen in the pediments at the front and the back of the house.
On the death of the 2nd Marqess of Annandale in 1710 the estate passed to his nephew Charles Hope, 3rd son of the 1st Earl of Hopetoun. Eventually it passed into the hands of the Rosebery family, and in turn became Crown Property. It is currently used as the Army Headquarters Scotland.
William Adam proposed to rebuild the central east front, circa 1730, to a more contemporary style, and to remodel part of the interior, but the plans were not realised. Lorimer's alterations included the removal of all the original ceilings on the principal and first floors.
The stair balustrade has a parallel at Caroline Park, Granton, with its similarly elaborate wrought-iron work. Both are supposed to be the work of Alexander and William Eizat.
The unfortunate absence of the stacks has lost the intended skyline interest.
J Small, CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS. VOL. I (1883); C B Innes, CRAIGIEHALL (Limited edition by Army Headquarters Scotland, 1996); J Macaulay, THE CLASSICAL COUNTRY HOUSE IN SCOTLAND 1600-1800 (1987), pp19, 35, 49, 79; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), pp55-6, 59, 591-2; J Lowrey, SIR WILLIAM BRUCE AND HIS CIRCLE AT CRAIGIEHALL, 1694-1708 (1989).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.