KIRN, THE QUEEN'S HOTEL (Ref:44187)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 25/04/1997.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 184 780.
Boston, Menzies and Morton, 1904, extending and re-working earlier inn. 3-storey hotel with English Arts and Crafts details, ground floor partly treated as basement and partial attic. Harled with some mock-timber framing.EARLIER BLOCK: 5-bays to left, with raised basement of segmental-arched openings and stairs to central door on principal floor, fronted by verandah with timber-columned and bracketed supports and simple railings, bays to left filled-in with modern windows. Gabled bay aboveto centre (mock-timber-framed gablehead) with modern door to balcony above verandah, further door flanking to left and windows in remaining bays. Slate-hung continuous dormer addition above.1904 ADDITION: 3-storey, 3-bay Arts and Crafts with corner tower. Bays to centre and to left with continuous bowed window with dividing buttress at centre and flanking buttresses (see glazing below), under slate-hung 1st floor apron with scalloped flashing; broad 1st floor window originally with segmental-arch above, now with modern square- headed replacement; string course below 2nd floor paired gables with single and paired windows at 2nd floor and arrowslits to gableheads. Round corner tower to right with round-arched door at ground shielded by jettied oriel of upper tower, supported on fine red sandstone mask- corbels; slate-hung apron continuing around tower; single windows to 1st and 2nd floors with deep band of studded ornament and floral diamond panels; towerhead mock-timber framed, and with swept conical slate roof and attenuated lead finial. Variety of glazing patterns; plate glass sash and case to original inn with further non-traditional windows; small-pane casements and plate glass sash and case to 1904 addition, further modern windows, and fine leaded windows with decorative stained glass panels (see below). Grey-green slates. Gablehead stacks with terracotta cans.INTERIOR: part seen includes 1904 Glasgow Style fittings (eg screen and doors to Cocktail Bar) and Glasgow Style stained glass to windows and door panels (some modern replacements).
A building known as the 'Kirn Inn' which appeared on the site in 1837 is probably the core of the Queen's Hotel to the left of the site; it was apparently re-named after the accession of Queen Victoria, featuring in the Valuation Roll for 1859 under its current name. An illustration of the hotel from a circa 1930 leaflet shows the hotel in its seemingly unaltered post-1904 form, theverandah open, the segmental arch over the 1st floor windows and battered stacks to the M-valley gutter and by the tower of the 1904 addition, now sadly missing.
Information courtesy of Barry Kaye.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.