34 ARGYLL ROAD, EDGEMONT (Ref:44182)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 25/04/1997.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 1770 7748.
James Dunlop, builder, 1936. 2-storey Modern Movement house. Harled brick with metal (Crittal) windows and flat roof.
PRINCIPAL ELEVATION: 2-bay, with canted angles. Broad windows to projecting ground floor with glazing continued in splay of corner; balcony above with simple metal 'deck' railings and canopy supported on central pier and with pair of smaller windows behind. Wallhead of 2-storey bays visible above canopy. Side elevation with tall 2-canted metal window.
REAR ELEVATION: to Argyll Road. Advanced ground floor extending beyond span of main block with small windows flanking central semicircular doorway, glazed with small-pane arrangement. 1st floor recessed above with further 2-canted window, small windows flanking.
Metal horizontal-pane glazing to casement windows with chevron patterned top hopper panes to windows at front. Flat roofs with coped wallhead. Decorative 'Art Deco' detailed rainwater hopper and fixtures to downpipe dividing bays at ground to front.
INTERIOR: part seen, appropriately plain.
Formerly known as Ducinka. The design is decidedly individual within the moderne style, the canopied balcony and round-arched doorway adding distinction. The house sits prominently with view over the Clyde, its vantage point apparently employed during the Second World War as a look-out for Holy Loch Submarine base.
C McKean THE SCOTTISH THIRTIES (1987), p181. Information courtesy of owner (1996).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).