SEA ROAD, WESTHALL, INCLUDING BOUNDARY AND TERRACE WALLS (Ref:43637)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4681 3935.
Dated 1837, recast in 1929. 2-storey, 3-bay near-symmetrical classical villa of L-plan with single storey wing in re-entrant and single storey porches projecting to N and E. Harled walls with cement-rendered and lined dressings and details. Long and short quoins at windows and corners, projecting cills at windows.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting entrance porch centred at ground comprising central 6-panel timber door with 4-pane fanlight, tall windows in flanking bays divided by stop-chamfered square columns with capitals and bases; bipartite windows in side elevations with stop-chamfered arrises; plain cornice and balustraded parapet around eaves. French window with 2-pane glazed upper and 8-pane fanlight centred over porch, 2-storey 4-light bay window with string and cill courses and crenellated parapet in bay to left. Bipartite window at ground in bay to right, Wyatt window offset to left at 1st floor. Wide corniced pediment with datestone in tympanum bearing inscription: "J G 1837 RECONSTRUCTED R D G 1929".
S ELEVATION: 2-bay end elevation of principal range advanced at right, windows at ground and 1st floors in bay at left, rear wing recessed at left, single storey flat-roofed wing in re-entrant angle with window to left of centre at 1st floor.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-bay part of rear elevation of principal range recessed to right with tall 8-pane stair window adjacent to re-entrant angle, window; rear wing elevation advanced at left with window at ground to right of centre and Wyatt window centred at 1st floor; single bay wing elevations flanking.
N ELEVATION: windows roughly centred at ground and 1st floors, single storey porch with vertically-boarded timber door with 3-pane fanlight and pair of windows in side elevations.
Timber sash and case windows with multi-pane upper sashes and 2-pane lower sashes. 8-pane fixed-light stair window with coloured border glazing. Purple-grey slate piended roof with terracotta ridge terminals and profiled cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Stugged ashlar wallhead stacks centring end elevations of principal range, additional wallhead stack adjacent to re-entrant angle, all coped with octagonal cans. Single-flue harled stack with circular can at corner of N porch.
INTERIOR: many fittings from 1929 refit surviving; timber stair with herringbone pattern soffit, upper flight oversailing with balustrades on both sides in nautical form.
BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble garden and terrace walls with flagged paths and stone steps. Stugged sandstone piers with pyramidal caps centring E wall.
A watercolour shows the house in its early 19th century form as a square 2-storey block with wallhead stacks at end elevations and flanking wings, a form still evident despite the later alterations to this house which is a prominent feature on the Ness of Sound.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p34.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.