ST OLAF STREET AND HARBOUR STREET, PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARGARET (ROMAN CATHOLIC), INCLUDING 87 ST OLAF STREET, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATE AND GATEPIERS (Ref:43635)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4734 4154.
James Malcolm Baikie of Kirkwall, 1911. 5 x 1-bay gothic church of rectangular plan with gabled entrance porches projecting in outer left bays of N and S elevations, and apsed chancel projecting from W elevation. Bull-faced squared and snecked Bressay freestone with polished Eday sandstone ashlar dressings and details. Base and eaves courses, angle buttresses at corners.
N (HARBOUR STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay asymmetrical elevation with bays divided by buttresses; gabled porch projecting in bay to outer left comprising pointed-arched hoodmoulded door in gable, arcaded 2-light window with pointed arch-heads in E side. 2-light trefoil-headed plate traceried windows with hoodmoulded pointed-arched surrounds in bays to right.
E (ST OLAF STREET) ELEVATION: stepped, arcaded, and hoodmoulded 3-light window centring gable with blind trefoil in gablehead.
S ELEVATION: mirrored image of N elevation except for 2-light window also in E side of porch.
W ELEVATION: apsidal chancel projecting with lancets in side elevations; semicircular end buttressed at poles; deep moulded eaves course. Blind trefoil centred in gablehead above.
Purple-grey slate roofs to main pitches, porches and apse; fishscale pattern to latter. Profiled cast-iron gutters and octagonal downpipes with hoppers and decorative brackets. Triangular ashlar skew copes with stone crosses at apexes of principal and porch gables.
INTERIOR: 2-leaf inner entrance door with vertically-boarded panelling. Marble memorial slab to Margaret Cruickshanks (benefactress of the church who died in 1910) on E window cill. Timber floor, pews, and vertically-boarded wainscoting to nave. Diamond pattern glazing with coloured glass to windows; stained glass by C R Sinclair of 1986 in E window depicting modern and historic Shetland industry. Open timber roof over 4 pointed-arched trusses bearing on plain ashlar corbels. Large pointed-arched hoodmoulded opening to sanctuary; ornate timber screen fronted by altar with carved relief of Last Supper; niche containing cross centring screen with carved cross above, smaller flanking niches containing religious figures.
87 ST OLAF STREET (PRESBYTERY): circa 1910. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical house of rectangular plan. Bull-faced squared and snecked sandstone principal front, rubble side and rear elevations, all with droved ashlar dressings. 4-panel timber entrance door with plate glass fanlight above at ground in centre bay. Single storey, 3-light canted bays in flanking bays, each with cill course, cornice and blocking course. Regular fenestration at 1st floor with bipartite windows in outer bays. Blank S gable; 2 closely spaced windows at 1st floor to right of centre in N gable. Modern lean-to additions at ground to rear elevation; tall stair window centred at 1st floor; irregular fenestration in flanking bays.
Timber sash and case windows; predominantly plate glass, 4-pane centring canted bays, 21-pane border-glazed fixed-light to stair window. Purple-grey slate roof with cast-iron gutters and downpipes with hopper at right. Bull-faced sandstone apex stacks, coped with octagonal cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, AND GATEPIERS: bull-faced sandstone dwarf wall with droved ashlar cope surmounted by Art Nouveau influenced cast-iron railing to Harbour and St Olaf Streets. Bull-faced sandstone square gatepiers to church with droved ashlar pyramidal caps and 2-leaf cast-iron gates matching railing. Random rubble boundary wall to W. Cast-iron gate matching railing to presbytery.
Ecclesiastical building, in use as such. The church is of good quality design and construction and, with the presbytery, forms and interesting group at this corner.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p30. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p177. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p488.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.