ST OLAF STREET, ST CLEMENT'S HALL, INCLUDING STEPS, PEDESTALS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS (Ref:43634)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4741 4146.
T L Bruce, 1909-11. 7 x 1-bay gabled church hall with 3-stage square plan tower at SW corner, and modern 2-storey addition obscuring E gable. Bull-faced squared and snecked principal elevation and tower with stugged and polished dressings and details; harled side elevations with cement dressings.
TOWER: base course, battered angle buttresses at 1st stage, cornices over 1st and 2nd stages, each with round-arched windows to S and W faces. 3rd stage; each face with blind roundel below string course; tall bipartite windows with round-arched lights; cornice and crenellated parapet above
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gable end of hall with base course; round-arched vertically-boarded 2-leaf timber entrance door with moulded surround at centre; segmental-arched 4-light window with cavetto-moulded cill and hoodmould over.
N ELEVATION: 7-bay elevation; tall round-arched windows with long and short dressings in each bay.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with round-arched windows with long and short dressing in each bay to right of tower.
Leaded stained glass W window; modern glazing elsewhere except for 4-pane fixed-lights to upper stage of tower. Purple-grey slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Matching ridge tiles to dormered timber ventilators, slated, with louvered gables. Crowstepped gables with Celtic crosses at apexes.
PEDESTALS, STEPS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: panelled square ashlar pedestals (lamp standards now gone) with rustic bases and moulded caps flanking entrance door. Concrete covered steps to door from stugged and droved square ashlar entrance gatepiers with bases and pyramidal caps; flanking bull-faced dwarf wall with ashlar cope, terminated to N and S by matching piers. Random rubble wall boundary wall with saddleback cope to S, modern wall to N.
INTERIOR: vertically-boarded timber wainscoting to hall; round-arched niche centring E wall with flanking 4-panel timber doors. Open timber roof with trusses bearing on stone corbels.
The Woman?s Guild initiated a scheme for the erection of a building that would serve the dual purpose of providing Lerwick Parish Church with a church hall of its own, and providing separate accommodation for the Dutch and other foreign fishermen. T L Bruce produced the design and Peter Thomson was appointed contractor with a tender of ?1615. The work was completed in 1911 and the Rev A J Campbell performed the opening ceremony. The Dutchmen made regular use of the building, and a stained glass window was presented by the Dutch Reformed Churches from fishing communities in the Netherlands. By 1966, with St Olaf?s in use as a hall too, St Clement?s was finally sold to Lerwick Town Council for recreational use. An old photograph of the W elevation shows 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber entrance doors flanked by cast-iron lamp standards (on the existing stone plinths) with globe lanterns, and simple cast-iron railings with widely-spaced ball-finialled stanchions and 2-leaf cast-iron gates. Another view shows a single storey crowstepped building along the E elevation. The tower of this hall is a distinctive landmark in this part of the town.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p29. E J F Clausen and T M Y Manson 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF LERWICK PARISH CHURCH (1979) p8 and 18. Shetland Islands Council Archive. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p177, plates 63 and 65. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p19. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p486.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.