MARKET STREET, GARRISON THEATRE (Ref:43629)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4751 4147.
Dated 1903. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay Scots Baronial former drill hall. Stugged squared and snecked sandstone walls with concrete covered ashlar dressings. Base course, long and short quoins to windows and corners, projecting cills at windows.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: architraved and corniced 6-panel 2-leaf timber door with 4-pane fanlight at ground in centre bay; datestone in frame centred above. Bipartite windows at ground in flanking bays; bipartite window in dormer with stone crowstepped dormerhead breaking eaves to right of centre. Left bay gabled with bipartite window at 1st floor, window at 1st floor in bay to right rising in tower, breaking eaves at SW corner, corbelled out to crenellated parapet above.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay elevation with hall extending to right. Raised door opening in centre bay at ground, windows in flanking bays with 1st floor window in left bay in corner tower, bipartite dormer window in right bay offset to right, breaking eaves with crowstepped stone dormerhead. Hall elevation extending to right, mostly obscured by modern addition.
N ELEVATION: 2-bay end elevation of principal front to right with crowstepped chimneygable with windows flanking centre, hall elevation extending to left, ground floor obscured by modern lean-to addition.
Modern timber windows with multi-pane uppers and plate glass lower sashes. Purple slate roofs, piended with platform to front block, gabled to hall, profiled cast-iron gutter and downpipes with decorative hopper and brackets.
INTERIOR: (seen 2008). Simple, modernised interior.
The Islesburgh Theatre started life as a Volunteer Headquarters and Drill Hall/Gymnasium and School of Arms. Built by members of the 7th Volunteer Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders, the foundation stone was laid on 22nd July 1903 by Captain Commandant Moffatt. The Drill Hall was requisitioned during the 2nd World War by the Entertainments National Service Association as a theatre for service personnel. Unofficially dubbed with the title "Garrison Theatre", it was not until 1942 that at was adapted for use as a proper theatre, and then further improved in 1958 after acquisition by the Education Committee. In 1974, it was handed over to the Islesburgh House Committee after plans to build a new theatre at the Anderson High School were abandoned, and has undergone another refurbishment circa 1990. Old photographs show the original arrangement of the chimney stacks.
Shetland Arts took over the Garrison Theatre in 2006 and it now provides a venue for theatre, concerts and film shows amongst other community uses.
List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p30. E J F Clausen and T M Y Manson 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF LERWICK PARISH CHURCH (1979) p.9. Shetland Islands Council ISLESBURGH HOUSE (1980) p11. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p20. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p230.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.