KNAB ROAD, BREIWICK ROAD, AND LOVER'S LOAN, LERWICK OLD CEMETERY, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND ENTRANCE GATE (Ref:43623)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4782 4095.
Early 19th century. Triangular cemetery with 3-bay classical arched entrance gateway at N corner. Cement-rendered and lined rubble boundary wall, partially with droved ashlar cope. Droved ashlar entrance gateway comprising segmental-arched carriage gate at centre gate; coped with stepped block pediment above, flanked by lower, slightly recessed pedestrian gateways.
Variety of grave enclosures comprising cast-iron railings on droved ashlar copes, lining E and S walls and flanking path along W wall. Monument to Laurenson family in enclosure no 12, comprising marble round-arched memorial slabs set in Romanesque arcaded red sandstone recesses in ashlar-coped stugged sandstone wall.
By 1829, the old Lerwick kirkyard was full. The Heritors of the town decided in March 1831 to recommend the triangular piece of ground which now forms what is now known as the Old Cemetery. Originally laid out as a park circa 1820, before being designated a burial ground on 14th April 1831. Records of the Heritors meeting of the 16th January 1835 mention a Mr William Matheson, surveyor, had drawn a plan of the ground and had designed the entrance gate.
E S Reid Tait A LERWICK MISCELLANY (1955), p55. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) plate 8.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).