KING HARALD STREET AND UNION STREET, ISLESBURGH COMMUNITY CENTRE (FORMERLY LERWICK CENTRAL PUBLIC SCHOOL), INCLUDING PLAYSHELTERS, BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES, AND GATEPIERS (Ref:43619)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4732 4122.
John M Aitken, 1902, with additions of 1933. Symmetrical Scots Baronial former school comprising 3-storey, 3-bay principal block with lower 3-storey, 2-bay wings flanking to N and S, each with 2-storey, 10-bay classroom wing extending from rear (W) giving U-plan. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone walls with stugged, droved and polished ashlar dressings and details. Base course, string course articulated around lintels at ground, cill course at 1st floor, string and eaves courses at 2nd floor.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay of principal block gabled and slightly advanced; modern pointed-arched opening at ground; modern inscription with flanking quatrefoil decoration over lintel, hoodmould articulated around segmental-arched panel above, containing inscription reading "CENTRAL PUBLIC SCHOOL 1902". 4-light mullioned and transomed windows at floors above; hoodmould articulated around pointed-arched panel bearing burgh arms at 2nd floor lintel. Transomed bipartite windows at all floors in flanking bays; those at 2nd floor with pointed-arched lintels. Framed stone plaque at ground to outer right with inscription reading "Foundation Stone Laid 7th August 1901 by John M Aitken, Arch." Circular bartizans with blind arrowslits, quatrefoils, and machicolated and corniced eaves corbelled out at corners and framing 2nd floor. 3-storey 2-bay wings recessed at right and left; concrete covered steps with stugged and coped sandstone balustrades accessing pointed-arched doors adjacent to re-entrant angle with "GIRLS" and "BOYS" inscribed on lintels; single windows centred above at 2nd floor, bipartite windows at each floor in bays to outer left and right.
N ELEVATION: gable end of principal block with bipartite mullioned and transomed window to outer left of elevation, and centring gablehead at 2nd floor. Gable of N wing with bipartite windows at each floor to outer left, stair windows at outer right. Classroom wing extending to right; 10 bays, grouped 3-3-4 with bipartite windows inserted in centre bays of 3-bay groups.
S ELEVATION: mirrored image of N elevation except for no bipartite windows inserted in 3-bay groups of classroom wing.
Modern glazing throughout. Purple-grey slate roofs; square lantern centring ridges of principal block comprising slate-hung battered base, louvered timber sides, corniced at eaves with bell-cast pyramidal roof surmounted by bird weathervane. Conical bell-cast roofs with ball finials to bartizans. Crowstepped E gable of principal block with octagonal shaft finial engaged at apex. Crowstepped skew copes flanking coped 2-flue apex stacks with circular cans to principal block and wings. Ashlar skew copes to classroom wings; coped single-flue apex stacks with circular cans.
INTERIOR: symmetrically disposed timber stairs in N and S wings; turned spindles and newels with urn finials. Pyramidal cupola over central hall at 1st floor, formerly galleried with balustrade around. Basket-arched arcaded screen to E, staircase behind with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. Vertically-boarded timber wainscoting and pointed-arched door openings to classrooms; panelled doors with 6-pane uppers.
PLAYSHELTERS: oriented N-S, and flanking rear wings of main building. Purple grey slate roofs; basket-arched openings now infilled.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped random rubble retaining wall to King Harald Street surmounted by iron railings with finialled stanchions. Flanking gatepiers with droved ashlar piers comprising stop-chamfered shafts with bases and pyramidal caps; 2-leaf iron gates, 3 cast-iron lamp standards remaining. Wall terminated to N and S by matching piers. Coped random rubble boundary walls to N and S.
The 4-bay westernmost extent of the classroom wings are additions of 1933. A photograph of circa 1970 shows there to be a window (matching the floors above) centred at the ground floor of the principal block. After closure of the school, conversion to use as a community centre was made in 1978-80. Aitken?s obituary of 1923 stated "there is no finer Public School in the north of Scotland - either as to internal arrangements or architectural beauty". Although the modern timber doors and glazing are out of character with the rest of the building, the new central arch is in keeping with the architecture and this remains one of the burgh?s most important buildings.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p30. Shetland Islands Council Archive. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p217. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p21. Shetland Islands Community Council ISLESBURGH HOUSE (1980) p12. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p105 and 247.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.