HILLHEAD AND CHURCH ROAD, ST OLAF'S HALL (FORMERLY ST OLAF'S CHURCH) (Ref:43613)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4774 4111.
William Henderson of Aberdeen 1848-50. 3 x 3-bay symmetrical gothic former hall church of rectangular plan with concealed basement, and modern addition to N. Droved ashlar principal front and stugged sandstone side elevations. Projecting cills and chamfered reveals to pointed-arched windows.
S (ENTRANCE) GABLE: entrance door centred at ground; 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door with 5-pane radial fanlight in 3-centred arch-head above. Pointed-arched window above, segmental-arched recess containing datestone with carved tree in gablehead. Gablehead surmounted by gabled ashlar bellcote with pointed-arched opening containing bell. Buttresses with crocketted finials framing centre bay, tall pointed-arched windows in outer bays.
SIDE (E AND W) ELEVATIONS: tall pointed-arched windows in evenly-spaced bays, rectangular basement windows in outer bays.
13-pane gothic traceried fixed-light in centre bay of S elevation, 6-pane timber fixed-lights elsewhere, some with hoppers. Purple-grey slate roof with ventilator plinth centring ridge, cast-iron gutters and downpipes with hoppers. Small apex stack with octagonal can at N gable.
BOUNDARY WALLS: harl-pointed rubble dwarf wall to Hillhead (S), surmounted by droved ashlar cope and cast-iron railing, square ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps flanking to left and right. Rubble walls with concrete cope to E and W.
Ecclesiastical building, no longer in use as such. After the union of the Church of Scotland with the United Free Church in 1929, St Olaf's was renamed Lerwick UF Church when the dissident minorities left from the union gathered to form their own congregation. St Olaf's then united with St Ringan's in 1931, and the congregation chose it for worship. St Olaf's was then given to St Columba's for use as a church hall, and renamed St Olaf's Hall. The extension of 1968 to the rear does not compromise the principal views of this crisply designed building, on its prominent corner site.
E J F Clausen and T M Y Manson 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF LERWICK PARISH CHURCH (1979) p11. Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p23 and 25. Ann W Halcrow ST RINGAN?S CHURCH (1986). John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p488.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.