GRESSY LOAN, JANET COURTNEY HOSTEL, INCLUDING TERRACE (Ref:43609)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4807 4080.
James Shearer of Dunfermline, 1939. 3-storey over partially-exposed basement, 9-bay asymmetrical flat-roofed International Modern hostel comprising stair tower breaking eaves at centre with 5-bay elevation partially overlapping at left, and 3-bay elevation recessed at right. Roughcast walls over stugged squared and snecked sandstone base, with concrete dressings, all painted. Cill and lintel courses at basement; eaves course. Projecting cills at windows.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: stair tower to right of centre; comprising full-height 14-light mullioned and transomed stair window surmounted by relief of burgh arms flanked by engaged finials. 5-bay regularly fenestrated elevation advanced and overlapping at right; door at basement in bay to outer left. 3-bay regularly fenestrated elevation recessed to right of tower; basement concealed; horizontally-boarded and studded 2-leaf timber entrance door with cantilevered concrete canopy at principal floor adjacent to tower.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical 3-bay elevation with 2-storey canted bay at basement and ground in bay to right comprising basement window at centre face, 3-light window at principal floor, parapet with stylised urns above. Regular fenestration above and in centre bay, obscured at ground by modern addition; blank bay at left.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly composed and fenestrated elevation with 2-storey, 10-bay service building advanced at left, and modern single storey infill at right.
Timber windows, predominantly 8 and 6-pane with casements; 4-pane fixed-lights to stair tower.
TERRACE; stugged squared and snecked sandstone walls (matching basement) with concrete cope and galvanised steel railing.
This building was a gift of the Carnegie United Kingdom Trustees. It was immediately requisitioned for military needs, delaying its opening for the accommodation of country boy students until October 1947. The overlapping planes and Art Deco influenced tower are strong architectural features of the period, their impact somewhat lost due to the view from the E being obscured by recent additions to the High School complex. Despite the contrasting styles, this building makes an impressive companion to the High School and Bruce Hostel when viewed from the sea.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p32. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p250. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p489.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.