ESPLANADE, LEASK'S (Ref:43605)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4767 4137.
John M Aitken, circa 1900. 2-storey and attic 5 x 1-bay asymmetrical Scots Baronial tenement with chamfered corner bay at SE corner and single storey shop wing along N elevation; gable to harbour with closes flanking to N and S. Stugged sandstone walls with polished and droved ashlar dressings and details, stugged rubble N elevation. Chamfered arrises and sloping cills at windows. E (ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, single bay crowstepped gable with chamfered corner bay to left and single storey shop with crowstepped and ball-finialled gable projecting to right. Plate glass fixed-lights to shop windows at ground. Tripartite windows at 1st and 2nd floors of gable; latter with round-headed lights, circular crenellated bartizan (with flagpole attached) corbelled out at right (NE) corner. Segmental turret corbelled out at 1st floor of corner bay, corbelled out to semi-octagonal 3-light corner tower breaking eaves. S ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 5 bays, irregularly fenestrated at ground, entrance door at ground in bay to outer right; armorial panel above, roll-moulded frame, carved ship and date 1836. Dormers with crowstepped and ball-finialled stone dormerheads breaking eaves in3 bays to right, metal-clad box dormers breaking eaves in bay to left. N ELEVATION: single storey shop wing projecting at ground. Irregular fenestration at 1st and 2nd floors; concrete 4-light canted oriel projecting at centre, dormers with crowstepped and ball-finialled dormerheads in 3 bays to left with shouldered and crowstepped wallhead stack between bay to outer left, matching wallhead stack to right of centre and metal-clad dormers in bays to right.Some plate glass timber sash and case windows surviving at 1st floor, modern glazing elsewhere. Grey slate roof with cast-iron gutters and downpipes, bell-cast pyramidal roof with wrought-iron weathervane to tower. Stugged ashlar stacks, coped with tall circular cans; crowstepped principal gable with thistle finial.
Formerly the offices of the North of Scotland & Orkney & Shetland Steam Navigation Company. In his book, Manson refers to the offices as "large, roomy, and excellently fitted up; and the whole building, which provides an agent's house, is a striking addition to the architecture of the town". The bold detailing of the E gable continues to make a strong contribution to the skyline of the town, particularly when viewed from the harbour and sea with the backdrop of the Grand Hotel and Town Hall.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p21. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p14. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p41.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.