ESPLANADE AND IRVINE PLACE, HARBOUR MASTER'S OFFICE, INCLUDING YARD WALL (Ref:43604)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4768 4132.
1906. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical office of square plan with 2-storey wing projecting to N from NW corner. Cement-rendered and lined walls and details, all painted. Base course.
E (ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: 4-panel, 2-leaf timber door with plate glass fanlight in round-arched opening, keystone centring arch, hoodmould with bracketted stops over. Bipartite windows with curved reveals in flanking bays. Architraved circular clock by Potts & Son of Leeds centred over door, windows breaking eaves in flanking bays with curvilinear dormerheads.
S (IRVINE PLACE) ELEVATION: formerly symmetrical, originally with window centred at ground flanked by doors (that at right now infilled) with flanking narrow windows and further windows to outer left and right of elevation. Tripartite window centred at 1st floor, breaking eaves with curvilinear dormerhead; matching window adjacent to left.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, tripartite windows to left of centre at ground and 1st floors (latter matching S elevation); small square window only at ground in bay at right; modernised 2-storey wing extending to left.
N ELEVATION: 2-bay elevation; partially obscured by modernised gabled wing advanced at right. Paired narrow windows at ground and 1st floors flanking chimneygable breaking eaves with curvilinear pediment.
Modern glazing to E elevation; plate glass timber sash and case windows elsewhere. Purple-grey slate piended platform roof with overhanging timber eaves and profiled cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Cement-rendered, coped wallhead stacks to right of centre at S elevation, and flanking dormer at rear elevation.
YARD WALL: cement-rendered and painted wall bounding yard to N, decorative metal town crest supported by timber post inset in E wall, terminated to S by square gatepier with pyramidal cap, 2-leaf wrought-iron gates.
Built around the time of Lerwick Harbour?s busiest period, this is a building of distinctive character that was once central to the life of the harbour. An old photograph shows the office with a single storey 3-bay piend-roofed building with matching details to the N where the yard now is. Nicolson?s book records that "in 1906 Messrs Jamieson Brothers began work on a new harbour office with a flat on the 1st floor intended for the Assistant Harbour Master. A public convenience was added to the N in 1908".
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p21. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p177. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p13. James R Nicolson LERWICK HARBOUR (1966) p63.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.