ESPLANADE, ELLESMERE BUILDINGS (Ref:43603)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4770 4130.
1906. 3-storey, 3-bay tenement with chamfered corner bay to W and 2-bay angled E elevation. Renaissance detailing to stugged squared and snecked sandstone principal elevations with polished ashlar dressings; harl-pointed stugged rubble rear elevation. Base course, cill courses at all floors, corniced shopfront, 2nd floor, and eaves. Wallhead raised to scroll-flanked corniced parapets at angled end elevations.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, with additional chamfered corner bay to left. Tenement door centred at ground flanked by panelled pilasters with paired brackets at frieze and segmental pediments over cornice. Tripartite windows at 1st and 2nd floors above, latter corniced, rising into raised and corniced parapet with carved panels and pyramidal finials. Bipartite windows at 1st and 2nd floor in bay to left. Chamfered corner bay blank at ground, corniced window at 2nd floor rising into raised and corniced wallhead.
E ELEVATION: 6-panel, 2-leaf timber shop door with plate glass fanlight at ground adjacent to corner, strip pilasters flanking, matching those of S elevation, 2-pane timber fixed-light to shop window at ground in bay to right; tripartite windows at floors above, corniced parapet at eaves surmounted at right by corniced pediment with circlet in tympanum.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated, 3 wallhead stacks and
2 gabled dormers breaking eaves.
Timber sash and case windows, predominantly with 2-pane lower sashes and 6-pane uppers. Purple-grey slate roof with red ridge tiles and cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Stugged and coped apex stack with circular cans to W gable.
In 1906, Mr George Leslie of Laxfirth bought the premises known as Victoria Wharf (formerly owned by John Robertson) and had the block rebuilt as the Ellesmere Buildings. This is a building of distinctive character in a prominent site turning the corner from the Esplanade to the Market Cross, therefore making an essential contribution to the streetscape of the harbour.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p21. James R Nicolson LERWICK HARBOUR (1966) p63.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.