96 COMMERCIAL STREET, MEDICAL HALL (Ref:43600)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4765 4138.
Later 19th century. 2-storey and attic with basement 3-bay tenement of rectangular plan with chamfered corner to NW, principal elevations to Commercial Street and Esplanade with closes flanking to N and S. Painted shopfront to Commercial Street, stugged squared and snecked sandstone end elevations, and rubble sides. Stop-chamfered window reveals. W (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 3 bays including chamfered corner bay at left. Principal floor; shop windows in corner bay and at left of centre bay with modern 2-leaf shop door (with tiled threshold) to right, door in bay at outer right, frieze and cornice over shopfront. Segmental-arched windows with keystones at 1st floor, bipartite at centre bay, single windows to flanking bays; string course above, articulated around blank panel at corner bay. Round-arched windows at 2nd floor with crowstepped dormerheads breaking eaves in corner bay and centred over bays at right.S (QUENDALE LANE) ELEVATION: nearly blank, except for windows at 1st floor and door at basement. N (NICOLSON?S CLOSS) ELEVATION: 3 random windows at 1st floor of otherwise blank elevation. E (ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, 4-pane shop window at basement with door in bay at left. Window centred at 1st floor with flanking narrower windows, frieze above, segmental-arched windows centred at floors above, bipartite at 1st floor, timber-headed dormer breaking eaves at 2nd floor.Plate glass timber sash and case windows at 1st and 2nd floors except for 4-pane to E dormer, modern glazing to shop and at basement. Modern grey tile piended roof, stugged sandstone wallhead stacks at E and W ends of N and S elevations, all coped with circular cans.
In 1863, a Dr Loeterbagh bought a chemist?s shop which was a house built before 1800 for one of the Greigs of Leog. He was a ship?s surgeon from Dordrecht, who had visited Lerwick with Dutch fishermen and subsequently acquired British qualifications after studying in Edinburgh. Medical Hall was bought by a Mr Linklater in 1876, and then by a Mr Stout in 1895. This building provides a striking focus at this corner of Commercial Street, particularly when viewed from the N.
Aurora YESC, DA STREET (1994). James W Irvine LERWICK (1985). Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p46.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.