80-82 (EVEN NOS) COMMERCIAL STREET (Ref:43596)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4766 4134.
Alexander Campbell, 1905-6. 2-storey and attic over concealed basement, 3-bay symmetrical Scots Baronial tenement of square double-pile plan. Stugged squared and snecked sandstone principal elevations with stugged and droved dressings and details, harl-pointed rubble side elevations with stugged and droved ashlar dressings. Projecting cills at windows. W (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: cement-rendered, lined and painted shopfront at principal floor comprising modern common stair door at centre, central panelled and glazed doors with 3-pane uppers and 2-pane fanlights, cast-iron columns, stall-risers, and windows flanking; stop chamfered piers framing shopfront, corniced frieze above. 3-light canted bays with stone roofs in each bay at 1st floor, crowstepped nepus gable with segmental-arched window breaking eaves at centre of 2nd floor, dormers with crowstepped and ball-finialled stone dormerheads, breaking eaves in flanking bays.SIDE ELEVATIONS: irregularly fenestrated, 6-panel door with 2-pane fanlight centring N elevation. E (ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; plate glass fixed-lights at basement, paired in centre bay, 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber doors flanking, fixed-lights flanking to outer left and right. Bipartite windows in each bay at principal floor, centre window offset slightly to left. Regular fenestration at 1st and 2nd floors, central gable with flanking dormers matching W elevation. Some plate glass and 4-pane timber sash and case windows surviving. Purple-grey slate platform roof, stugged sandstone stacks with octagonal cans.
In August 1905, the old building on this site was demolished and the present building erected by E S Reid & Co to plans by Campbell, the contractor being a Mr Magnus P Morrison. Manson?s book of 1923 refers to the building by saying "unlike some others of the best buildings in Lerwick this was designed by a local architect, and built by a local contractor". The site was formerly occupied by a house lived in by James Ogilvy, a merchant in Lerwick, but was burnt out in 1824. The walls stood for over 50 years and it became known to the townspeople as "De Brunt Hoose". It was subsequently used for a fischcuring operation with the cooperage in the cellars, the floor above being replaced by a roof. The elevation to Commercial Street is of an impressive scale compared to its neighbours, and the shopfront is an interesting survival. The elevation to the harbour is particularly prominent, and makes a major contribution to the townscape when viewed from the east.
E S Reid Tait A LERWICK MISCELLANY (1955), p81. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p35.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.