60-62 (EVEN NOS) COMMERCIAL STREET, ANDERSON & CO (Ref:43593)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4772 4127.
Circa 1900. 2-storey over concealed basement, 3 x 3-bay retail warehouse of square plan on sloping site. Stugged squared and snecked sandstone walls, droved at arrises. Base course, band course at 1st floor.
S (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, principal floor, curved corner to left, segmental-arched windows with projecting cills, additional matching window between bays to left of centre, and 6-panel 2-leaf timber entrance door to right. Regular fenestration at 1st floor.
W (MARKET CROSS) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, infilled basement window in bay at outer left, regular fenestration at principal and 1st floors.
N (HARBOUR) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber doors in centre and right bays at basement, fixed-light with iron bars in bay to left. Additional smaller window inserted at principal floor between bays at centre and outer right. Regular fenestration at 1st floor.
Plate glass fixed-lights to shop windows on Commercial Street, 4-pane casements to principal windows of principal floor at rear, 4-pane timber sash and case windows to other openings. Grey slate pyramidal roof with cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Stugged ashlar stacks, shouldered wallhead stacks flanking centre bay of W elevation, multi-flue stack to E elevation, all corniced with circular cans.
The firm of Anderson & Co was established in 1872 by Thomas Anderson, his brother Robert joining the business a year later. This is a building of good quality construction and strong character that is appropriate to its immediate surroundings, and as such makes an important contribution to the streetscape of Commercial Street, Market Cross, and the harbour.
Aurora YESC, DA STREET (1994). Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) plate 5.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.