38-42 (EVEN NOS) COMMERCIAL STREET (Ref:43591)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4777 4129.
Circa 1800. 2-storey over concealed basement, 3-bay tenement with shop at ground. Random rubble walls, cement-rendered and lined at shopfront.
S (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, margined 9-panel flush-beaded timber door with infilled fanlight and corniced lintel centred at principal floor, 6-panel 2-leaf door adjacent to left, 6-panel, 2-leaf flush-beaded timber door with infilled fanlight adjacent at right. 2-pane fixed-light shop window in bay to outer left, 4-pane and plate glass timber sash and case windows closely spaced in bay to outer right; regular fenestration at 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay gable end, ground floor windows widely spaced.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, basement obscured at centre and to right by modern concrete balcony accessing harled and gabled porch projecting at centre of principal floor. 4-pane fixed-lights at basement to left of centre. Regular fenestration in outer bays at principal and 1st floors; rubble-infilled window at intermediate level in centre bay with additional window inserted immediately to left.
E ELEVATION: single 4-pane fixed-light centred at basement.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows, purple-grey slate roof, stugged sandstone apex stacks, coped with circular cans, cement-rendered ashlar skew copes and bracketted skewputts.
Prior to the building of the Esplanade, this was known as Clark?s Court. Clark?s house, shop, and lodberry, later to be named Seamen?s House, were built about 1796. A photograph of circa 1975 shows a single 12-pane timber sash and case window surviving at the 1st floor. Re-instatement of the 12-pane pattern and fanlights over the doors to Commercial Street would result in a distinguished S elevation. This building, however, continues to make an important contribution to the fabric of Commercial Street, and the view of the town from the harbour.
James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p109. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) plate 4.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.