169-171 (ODD NOS) COMMERCIAL STREET, INCLUDING GATE AND GATEPIERS (Ref:43587)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4762 4142.
Circa 1800. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay (grouped 2-1) near-symmetrical tenement with principal elevation containing shopfronts to Commercial Street (E) and close to S. Rubble walls with droved margins at corners and windows. Cavetto eaves cornice, projecting cills at windows. E (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: cement-rendered and lined shopfront at ground with early 20th century polished grey granite fascia superimposed at bay to right, corniced, and framing modern glazing and door; 2-pane fixed-lights and glazed door to shop windows in bays to left. S GABLE: blank except for vertically-boarded timber door to left, 9-pane fixed-light with iron bars over door lintel. E (REAR) ELEVATION: later cement-rendered piend-roofed addition projecting. Single flue rendered wallhead stack with cope to right of centre. N GABLE: blank rubble elevation, harled at gablehead. 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Purple grey slate roof; single piend-roofed, canted slate-hung timber dormer to E pitch; 4-pane timber sash and case window with 2-pane sidelights. Harled 4-flue apex stacks, coped, with octagonal cans. Cement-rendered skew copes with bracketted skewputts.GATE: timber lattice gates to left of principal elevation, cast-iron stanchions with urn finials.
A drapers shop, Leisk & Sandison, was established here in 1813, and also occupied no 171. The company remained at these premises until the early 1950s having made extensive alterations to the building in 1895. An old photograph shows the building with a traditional shopfront across the width of the principal elevation. This is a building of impressive scale presiding over this wider part of Commercial Street.
Aurora YESC, DA STREET (1994) plate 33.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.