109 COMMERCIAL STREET AND 2-4 (EVEN NOS) MOUNTHOOLY STREET (Ref:43582)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4768 4126.
Circa 1900, incorporating earlier fabric. 4-storey tenement (Nos 109 and 2) of rectangular plan on sloping site with gable to Commercial Street, 2-bay elevation to Mounthooly Street, and 2-storey L-plan building (No 4) to SW. Stugged sandstone principal front with polished and droved ashlar dressings. Projecting cills at windows.
NE (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, cement margined modern plate glass fixed-light at ground floor to right and shop door at left. Tripartite windows at upper floors, 3rd floor windows with segmental-arched openings.
SE (MOUNTHOOLY STREET) ELEVATION: 2 bays, widely spaced, narrow window centred at 2nd floor, regular fenestration at flanking bays except ground floor window in bay at left offset to right and infilled, matching ground floor window in bay to right. Modern timber door at ground to outer left.
THE LOUNGE: 3-bay SE elevation, bays at left advanced, timber entrance doors flanking re-entrant angle. 2-bay gabled SW elevation, harled forestair accessing door at 1st floor in bay to right, infilled window in bay to left. Modern addition to NW elevation.
Modern multi-pane timber windows to Nos 109 and 2, some 12-pane timber sash and case surviving to side elevation. 4-pane timber sash and case windows at The Lounge. Purple-grey slate roofs, piended to SE at The Lounge. Stugged and coped 4-flue wallhead stack with octagonal cans centring SE elevation of No 2, stugged and coped apex stacks to SW gables of No 2 and Lounge Bar, latter with circular cans. Droved ashlar skew copes to gables, iron cross at apex of NE gable.
This building was occupied by the North of Scotland Town & County Bank in the early 1900s before being sold to a draper in 1910. A photograph of circa 1975 shows 12-pane timber sash and case windows at all floors of the SE elevation of No 2. With its gabled neighbours in Commercial Street, No 109 makes an important contribution to the fabric of Market Cross, and is particularly prominent from the harbour.
Aurora YESC, DA STREET (1994). Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p176 plate 6.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.