Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

BURGH ROAD, GILBERTSON PARK BOUNDARY WALL, GATES, AND GATEPIERS (Ref:43577)

This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the Lerwick Burgh. It is a category B building and was listed on 12/08/1996.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: HU 4719 4147.

Description

Dated 1897. Classical park gates comprising 2-leaf wrought-iron park gates at centre; square-plan polished ashlar gatepiers with bases, shafts partially fluted with rusticated banding; frieze above with alternating triglyphs and medallions; corniced caps with ball finials on stepped bases. Flanking short lengths of stugged sandstone dwarf walls with ashlar cope and wrought-iron railing connecting to flanking piers (matching above but without ball finials), flanking dwarf quadrant walls connecting to outer piers (matching above but without friezes, fluting and ball finials). Flanking rubble boundary wall with saddleback cope bounding E of park.

Notes

An inscription on the left gatepier reads "Gilbertson Park" and on the right pier "Presented to the town of Lerwick by Robert P Gilbertson Esq and opened by him 27th June 1897".

References

James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) plate 17. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) plate 27.

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).