BELL'S ROAD AND GILBERTSON ROAD, INCHES, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND PUMP (Ref:43576)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 12/08/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4702 4130.
Dated 1872. 2-storey 3-bay near-symmetrical villa of rectangular plan with single storey service wing to rear (N). Stugged squared and snecked sandstone principal front, harl-pointed side and rear elevations, all with polished ashlar dressings and details, droved at arrises. Base course and eaves cornice.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-panel 2-leaf timber entrance door with plate glass fanlight at ground in centre bay; doorpiece comprising pilasters with scrolled brackets flanking lintel and supporting cornice. Bipartite windows at ground and 1st floors in bay at left. 2-storey, 3-light canted bay with corniced lintel at ground in bay to right. Projecting cills and stop chamfered arrises at windows. Long and short dressings to windows and at corners.
W ELEVATION: narrow windows to left of centre at ground; modern single storey conservatory projecting at right; narrow window at 1st floor to right of centre.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: round-arched stair window centred at 1st floor, windows at ground and 1st floors in flanking bays; harled rubble service wing advanced at ground.
E ELEVATION: single window centre at 1st floor.
Some timber sash and case windows surviving; plate glass to principal front, 4 and 6-pane to side and rear elevations and service wing. Purple-grey slate piended platform roof with profiled cast-iron gutter to principal elevation; decorative cast-iron brattishing with wrought-iron finials at corners. Stugged sandstone wallhead stacks centring side elevations; corniced with octagonal and circular cans.
INTERIOR: internal fitting surviving include 4-panel doors, panelled shutters and plaster cornices. Timber staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. Stained glass stair window bearing date 1872.
BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble walls, stugged and droved ashlar gatepiers with bases and cavetto-moulded caps with urns centring house to S; flanking quadrant walls with saddleback cope, terminated to E by cement-rendered and lined pier.
PUMP: cast-iron pump (to W of house) on stugged ashlar plinth by George Smith & Co of Sun Foundry Glasgow.
This pattern book design was built by Andrew Sievwright, a prominent lawyer whose father, Gilbert, lived in Law Lane. He inhabited it shortly before emigrating to New Zealand and it subsequently functioned as the manse for St Olaf's Church.
James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p105, 173 plate 44. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p184 plate 30.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.