100 MILNGAVIE ROAD, BEARSDEN COUNCIL CHAMBERS (Ref:43521)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 23/07/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5506 7188.
Predominantly late 19th century, built in stages 1861-1899. 2-storey Tudor gothic former residential home with castellated tower, now municipal offices. Rectangular-plan. Bull-faced red sandstone with ashlar dressings, stonecleaned with acid late 1980s; base course, chamfered arrises. Corbelled parapet to outer pavilion bays.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 9-bay elevation with 2-storey entrance bay advanced to centre with round-arched, hoodmoulded arch to porch, colonnettes flanking, short flight of steps; acarved armorial above with string course continuous with flanking bays as cill course to 1st floor window; stepped gablehead with angle and apex shafts and blank tablet. Pointed-arch arcade flanking, 3 bays to left, 4 to right with sturdy sandstone shafts and composite capitals, cross-mullioned windows behind, and windows with gabled dormerheads at 1st floor above; arcade open to right return, closed to left by advanced pavilion bay with
large rectangular hoodmoulded window at ground and 1st floor window with piend-roofed dormerhead.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: altered post 1918 with 5-bay with large 5-part window spanning pavilion elevation under hoodmould, with smaller 5-light (timber mullioned) window above at centre, flanked by windows breaking eaves in mansarded dormerheads.
TOWER: breaking eaves to rear, set in re-entrant angle formed with end of pavilion block and recessed rear elevation. Door at ground on return with fanlight and cornice; blinded panels at 3rd stage, machicolated corbel course at wallhead, arching over narrow lights and supporting crenellated parapet with water spouts.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: tower off-centre right and variety of irregular openings including tripartite window, canted window (post 1918), large window and modern metal fire escape.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: end of arcade with pointed arch opening and closing pier to outer left, stone mullioned tri- and bipartite windows to pavilion elevation. Modern glazing. Green slates with decorative clay finials and ridge tiles.
INTERIOR: refurbished for use as municipal offices in 1960s(?) Scandinavian style with good timber detailing; staircase with metal balustrade, leading to landing with oval well similarly balustraded giving light to upper floor. Piers with filleted angles of timber strips. Some timber wainscot cladding. Polished timber floor with decorative border. Glazed doors with stylised brass handles. Some light fittings original to refurbishment in situ.
The building was apparently built as part of a legacy from three sisters, the Misses Buchanan of Bellfield, Ayrshire, and was originally intended for elderly members of the Buchanan clan, hence its former name, the Buchanan Retreat.
Information courtesy of Bearsden and Milngavie Council. OS maps, 1898 and 1918.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.