BENMORE VIEW, SHORE ROAD, SANDBANK (Ref:43020)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 29/02/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 1604 8057.
Dated 1902. Single storey and attic, rectangular plan, Arts and Crafts, former reading room with caretaker?s flat above, now 2 flats. Wet dash painted white with some cream sandstone dressings. Slate roof with wide oversailing roof supported on timber ogee brackets at corners.
SW (SHORE ROAD) ELEVATION: segmental-headed doorway with 2-leaf panelled storm doors, half-glazed vestibule door with part curved and glazed side panels.
Large canted transom and mullion window to right, small pane glazing with top hoppers. 4 small windows to left of doorway. 3 large flat roofed dormers.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with entrance to upper flat. Window at ground floor to left, 2 windows above.
NE (HOLY LOCH) ELEVATION: doorway to centre with panelled door, curved cornice with date below. Canted windows flanking, detailed as on SW elevation. 3 large flat roofed dormers.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 windows at ground, single window at 1st floor. Original timber windows to ground flat, including transom and mullion canted windows and sash and case windows. Mostly small pane glazing pattern. Original glass. Upper flat
mostly modern replacement windows, original windows to NE dormers. Grey slate roof, stone skews, corniced chimneys with clay pots, ogee cast-iron gutters.
INTERIOR: upper flat seen October 1995. Some original features including stair, doors and landing storage units. Lower flat not seen.
Built by local residents as a Working Man?s Reading Room on land owned by Robt S Allan of Hafton House. Converted into a dwelling house in 1935. Split into 2 flats in 1961.
Frank Arneil Walker with Fiona Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992). Information courtesy of one
of the present owners (1995).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.