CARDROSS, STATION ROAD, PARISH CHURCH WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:42917)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 23/02/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3446 7753.
John Burnet Senior, 1871-72. L-plan Gothic church with entrance tower. Squared and snecked rubble with harl pointing, later cement pointing, ashlar margins and dressings. Battered base course, eaves cornice; sturdy buttresses with sawtooth coped offsets. Hoodmoulds, labelstops; reticulated traceried windows; ogee-arched windows
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad gable with sturdy diagonal buttresses;
3 small 2-light ogee-arched windows at ground; large pointed-arched window above, hoodmould with angel-head labelstops; disc finial at apex. TOWER: 3-stage entrance tower with belfry, recessed in re-entrant angle to left. String courses dividing stages. Deeply moulded pointed-arch door at ground, hoodmould, mask labelstops (badly weathered), boarded door with decorative cast iron hinges; 3 narrow lancets above. Trefoil-headed lancet on left return. 3 narrow stepped stair windows above. Clock at 2nd stage; paired round-arched, trefoil- headed, louvered openings at belfry stage, hoodmoulds springing from sculpted beast at centre, terminating in mask labelstops. Stone pyramidal crocketted spire carried on stylised corbel course; small trefoil-headed lucarnes; Celtic cross finial.
SW ELEVATION: 5-bay nave divided by buttresses at left; tower in penultimate bay to right (see above). Gable breaking eaves at outer left bay, large plate-traceried rose window (added 1878), hoodmould with angel-head labelstops; 2 small ogee lancets below. Diminutive bust in disc finial (possibly donor James Burns of Kilmahew). 2 bays flanking with pair of 2-light lancets; tower in penultimate bay to right, narrow outer right bay with small 2-light window.
NE ELEVATION: nave with rectangular-plan gabled vestry aligned NW-SE at outer right. VESTRY: gabled battered porch, pointed arch door, 2-leaf panelled wooden door; flanking narrow trefoil-headed lancet leaded windows; small cusped wheel window above, narrow light in gablehead. Paired lancets on right return. Nave articulated with paired trefoil- headed lancets on right return.
NW ELEVATION: broad gable with stepped 5-light window, gablehead stack with serrated head. Lean-to boiler house and half-piend-roofed block to outer right.
INTERIOR: renovated in 1899; hall church with later balcony at SW; pine pews; modern altar table and pulpit; tripartite altarpiece with embroidery panels by Hannah Frew Paterson installed 1981. Oak hammerbeam roof supported on slender colonnettes, angel capitals. Later 19th century marble memorials to James Burns, McDougall. Silk Hangings by Sarah Sumsion. Plate glass etched nave windows at NE by John Lawrie in memory of Elizabeth C Hendry of Geilston House. Stained glass windows by Sadie McLellan, installed 1970. The stained glass windows are by W & J Keir Glasgow. In 1878 the medallion W window was inserted. The organ was installed in 1898. The church bells are by Wilson of Glasgow, dated 1871.
Stained and leaded windows. Grey slate roof with lead flashings; small ridge ventilators. Ashlar coping to skews, disc finials.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES: broad gate and pedestrian gate. Sturdy, square-plan pier with battered base course; chamfered to octagonal pier, conical cap. Coped square pier to right, battered base, inset patera panel; identical pier to right of pedestrian gate. Decorative cast-iron gates. Rubble wall with harl pointing; ashlar saddleback coping.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church, the gift of James Burns of Kilmahew, was built as the Free Church and became the parish church in the early 1950s following the destruction of the parish church in WW2. The old parish church is listed separately.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), pp59-60. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p27. Eunice G Murray THE CHURCH OF CARDROSS AND ITS MINISTERS (1935). SKETCHES OF CHURCHES AND CLERGY IN THE PARISHES OF ROW, ROSNEATH AND CARDROSS (1889), pp189-192.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.