CARDROSS, MAIN ROAD, WAR MEMORIAL (Ref:42914)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 23/02/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3451 7759.
Circa 1920. Ashlar plinth surrounded by ashlar walls on 3 sides, forming U-plan memorial screen, terminated by piers, lead and ornamental Greek-style cast-iron urns. Plain, monumental memorial slab advanced at centre of back wall; inscribed "Our Glorious Dead" 1914-1919; 1939-1945; 4 cast-iron plaques flanking inscribed with the names of the war dead.
The war memorial was unveiled on Sunday December 11 1921 by Sir Iain Colquhoun, Lord Lieutenant of the County. The WW2 plaque was unveiled in June 1948. The original war memorial opened onto the parkland of Cardross Park.
Arthur F Jones CARDROSS, THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), pp24-25.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).