CARDROSS, MAIN ROAD, GEILSTON HALL (Ref:42911)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 23/02/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3407 7801.
Honeyman and Keppie, 1889-90. Long rectangular-plan Tudor hall with 2-stage crenellated tower to left. Squared and snecked honey-coloured sandstone with ashlar dressings and margins; hoodmoulds; buttresses; stone mullions and transoms.SW (MAIN) ELEVATION: 2-stage battlemented tower to outer left; tripartite transomed and mullioned window at ground; tripartite round-headed windows at 1st floor, hoodmould; crenellated parapet. Gabled stone porch in re-entrant angle to right, ashlar coping to skews and skewputts; Tudor-arched door set in roll-moulded surround; diagonal buttresses; blank recessed plaque in gablehead; 2-leaf panelled door. 4-bay hall to right, bays divided by blocky buttresses, alternating with narrow arrowslits. Gabled porch advanced to outer right; detailed as that described above, with plaque in gablehead inscribed "erected 1889 in memory of ITG".NW ELEVATION: tower to outer right, blank ground floor, narrow round-headed window at 1st floor, hoodmould. Advanced chimneybreast to wallhead stack to left, paired octagonal stacks. Low gabled bay to outer left, tripartite transomed and mullioned window at ground, window at 1st floor, small window to outer left; flat-roofed entrance bay to outer left with door at ground, window above.SE ELEVATION: broad gable, tripartite, transomed and mullioned window at centre, later, lower gabled block to outer right. 6-pane over plate glass timber sash and case windows; grey slate roof, lead flashings; glazed ridge. Ashlar octagonal wallhead cans.
The hall was built by the Geil Family of Geilston House. The first hall was destroyed by fire in 1889 and the present hall was designed by Honeyman and Keppie to replace it.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p60. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS, THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1981), p80.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.