CARDROSS, DARLEITH ROAD, SAINT MAHEW'S CHAPEL (Ref:42905)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3421 7864.
15th century chapel dedicated to St Mahew; in 17th century nave became parish school; chancel retained as family burial vault of Napiers of Kilmahew; restored Ian Lindsay and Partners, 1953-55 as Roman Catholic parish church. Rectangular-plan church aligned E to W, with lean-to vestry against N wall. Painted harl with red sandstone crowstepped gables; masonry carved mouldings, roll-moulded at E end, chamfered now painted. Red sandstone ashlar birdcage bellcote.S ELEVATION: 4-bay nave with higher chancel at E end, crowstepped gables. Door to outer left, 3 window symmetrically disposed to right. 2-bay nave to outer right; boarded door to left, window to right, roll- moulded surrounds.N ELEVATION: nave with window off-centre to right, lean-to outshot at W end; chancel at E end, roll-moulded window to right.E ELEVATION: gable, wall thickness deeper, small roll-moulded window at ground to right; small window in gablehead.W ELEVATION: red sandstone apex birdcage bellcote, reconstructed 1950s on 18th century design, ashlar bell-cast roof, ball and cross finial. Window at ground to outer left.12-pane sash and case timber windows; multi-paned window at E end. Grey slate roof, red sandstone roof ridging. INTERIOR: Early Christian cross-inscribed stone slab at entrance. 1950s interior, glazed screen dividing main body of nave from entrance; carved and painted statue of Saint Margaret, painted flowing banner. Sculpted crucifixion scene above chancel against painted backdrop latin inscription beneath with datestones 1467 and 1955. Chancel area, red sandstone chancel arch; rubble; round-arched sedilia. Aumbry now glazed. Stained glass window in gable.GRAVEYARD: number of plain grave slabs probably dating from the 17th century.BOUNDARY WALL: rubble boundary wall with boulder coping.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was dedicated in 1467 to St Mahew. Following the Reformation the church served as a chapel of ease, and later as a village school with the E chancel maintained as a burial place. The historical research for the 1953-55 reconstruction was carried out by Fr David McRoberts acknowledged by a plaque inside. The Roman Catholic parish of St Mahews was formed in 1978.
TRANSACTIONS SCOTTISH ECCLESIOLOGICAL SOCIETY (1961) Rev David McRoberts. F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p57. SCOTTISH FIELD February 1957. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY, p81.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.