CARDROSS, CARMAN ROAD, BLOOMHILL WITH LODGE AND GATEPIERS (Ref:42904)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 23/02/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3508 7743.
Circa 1838 with mid 19th century additions. 2-storey, 4-bay, gabled, rambling-plan Jacobethan villa. Squared and snecked red sandstone with honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings; base course; quoins; Jacobethan pediment; hoodmoulds; strapwork detail; basket-arched windows at 1st floor.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay main block with bays symmetrically disposed, later broader gabled bay advanced to outer right. Porch advanced at centre of main block, basket-arched door; pedimented gable over, blank plaque in gabelhead. Tripartite window above, hoodmould, finialled gable, ashlar coping to skews, kneelers; round-headed blind light in gablehead. Flanking symmetrical bays, slightly projecting ashlar margins at ground, stop-chamfered arrises; smaller windows at 1st floor, shouldered gabled dormerhead breaking eaves above. Gable
to outer right; slightly advanced tripartite window at ground, cornice continued as dividing string course above bipartite window above, strapwork detailing over; small bipartite window to attic; ashlar coping to skew and skewputts.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay main block with service block to left. Bays grouped to centre of main block. Ornately finialled gabled bay slightly advanced to right, ashlar coping to skews and kneelers; full-height canted window with crenellated blocking course. Narrow bay to centre, blocked window at ground, hoodmould, window at 1st floor, gabled dormerhead breaking over. Ground and 1st floor windows of outer left bay slightly advanced ashlar clad, bipartite at ground, basket-arched window at 1st; gabled dormerhead breaking eaves. Windows on left return, window at ground, 1st floor, dormerhead breaking over. 4-bay service wing recessed to left. 1st floor of centre block jettied on single sandstone pillar, forming covered area at ground. Broad terminating gable slightly advanced to outer left.
N ELEVATION: irregular elevation with advanced gabled wing to left.
Plate glass top-hopper window, stained hardwood. Grey slate roof, lead flashings; red sandstone ridge and wallhead stacks with ashlar coping; ashlar coping to skews and skewputts; kneelers and block skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen 1995.
S LODGE: circa 1838 with later 19th century, modern alterations. Single storey, originally 3-bay, now 5-bay, rectangular-plan lodge. Coursed red sandstone with honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings; base course; eaves course;
E (AVENUE) ELEVATION: 3-bay original block with additions in sympathetic style. Gabled advanced at centre, recessed panel at centre with 3-centred former door now blocked as window; blank plaque in gablehead. Entrance to right, recessed porch, modern door; small window to outer right. 2 bays to left, penultimate bay slightly recessed.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: paired gatepiers, battered base, honey sandstone with some red sandstone detailing. Main piers, stop-chamfered arrises, blank plaque detail, gabletted sawtooth finialled caps, finial on pier to right missing. Pedestrian gate to left, broad pier, stop-chamfered arise, pyramidal cap. Outer right pier narrower, pyramidal cap.
Tall stugged red sandstone wall with harl and cement pointing; ashlar semicircular coping. Wrought-iron 2-leaf gates to drive and single pedestrian gate.
Bloomhill was built for Alexander Ferrier in 1838. The house replaced on earlier house of the mid 1770s which was situated to the N. The once fine classical stable block of this earlier house is situated to the S and has been converted to residential use. The W lodge, Shira Lodge, is listed separately. The house is now a residential home.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p59. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS, THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1981), p14.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.