CARDROSS, BROOK'S ROAD, MOORPARK HOUSE (Ref:42901)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 23/02/1996.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 3331 7800.
1892. 2-storey asymmetrical rectangular-plan semi-detached villa. Red sandstone with polished stone margins and dressings; half-timbered details; chamfered reveals.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay with round tower bastion to SW. Door to outer left bay, tiled, penticed canopy on wooden brackets; half-glazed door; 3 small windows directly below eaves, stone mullions. Broad gabled bay advanced at centre; 2-storey over raised basement; canted at ground floor, corbelled to square above; 5 windows at ground floor, stone mullions; mock half-timbered 1st floor, shallow canted oriel at centre; gable slightly advanced, decorative bargeboard; wooden griffin topping gable. Bay to right, single window at centre ground, tripartite window at 1st floor. Round tower with crenellated parapet to outer right; 2-storey with battered basement on falling ground, stone corbelled balcony at principal floor; cast-iron balustrade; cornice with waterspout projections.
SW ELEVATION: round tower to left, blank bay to outer right; string course dividing floors; plaque at second level.
NE ELEVATION: gable to outer right; full-height canted window; bay to outer left.
SE ELEVATION: attached to earlier house (Moorpark Cottage) at centre rear. Gabled, half-timbered oriel to outer left; tall wallhead stack.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows; leaded upper panes in oriels; 2-pane cast-iron rooflight. Grey slate roof; terracotta ridging; tall coped wallhead stacks.
The villa was built in 1892 by the Procurator-Fiscal David Murray. The Leiperian style of the house might suggest Robert Wemyss as architect. Moorpark Cottage is listed separately. The former coach house, Moorpark, partly converted to residential use is listed separately.
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p62.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.