BROUGHTON, AVERNISH (Ref:4262)
This building is in the Scottish Borders Council and the
Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 23/02/1971.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NT 11208 36686.
Late 18th century, single storey 3-bay, symmetrical, L-plan street front cottage on the main street of the village. Squared coursed whinstone rubble with red sandstone quoins and margins. Painted and rendered rear elevation. Later openings with brick margins to rear.Half-glazed bi-fold timber entrance door. 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Small grey graded slate roofs, corniced ashlar stack with octagonal clay cans.INTERIOR: Rare survival of interior plan layout of small rooms and think internal walls. 4-panelled timber doors. Timber panelled shutters.
B-Group with Broughton Green House, Broughton Stores, Dassfauld, Dumra, Kintyre Cottage, The Lodge.
Avernish is a fine example of a small simple village cottage in almost original condition, central located on the main street and making a good contribution to the streetscape and local area. The internal layout of rooms survives with the thickness of the original walls in evidence and some original timber work.
Broughton Village was developed as an estate village to the former Broughton House and owned by the Lairds of the Barony of Broughton until 1921 at which point it was put up for public sale. The Symington, Broughton and Biggar Railway was opened in 1860 allowing business men to travel daily to Glasgow and Edinburgh resulting in an expansion of the village with new villas being built although the main street has retained its distinct early 19th century form.
Formerly listed as part of a long run of cottages, 'Broughton Village, 7 Cottages, Broughton Green House, Etc (See Paper List for Full Details)' List description updated and category changed from B to C(S) in 2011 following reassessment of the street.
1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1855). Buildings of Scotland, Borders, K Cruft, J Dunbar, R Fawcett (2006) p140. Glimpses of Old Broughton, Booklet. A Living Village `The Story of the old village of Broughton over a period of 800 years'.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.