Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SIR GEORGE'S STREET, EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF ST PETER AND THE HOLY ROODLB42029

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/11/1984
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Thurso
NGR
ND 11717 68255
Coordinates
311717, 968255

Description

Alexander Ross, 1885 with later chancel completed 1905.

Simple rectangular Gothic church orientated SW-NE. Sneck

coursed rubble, contrasting tooled sandstone dressings.

Projecting gabled entrance porch at SW with narrow circular

bell tower attached, rising 3 stages with pointed headed

lancets in upper stages with Caithness slab louvres;

corbelled upper band course; bellcast fishscale slated

conical roof with cast-iron finial Large Gothic window with

geometric tracery in SW gable; simple paired lancets light

5-bay flanks and 2-bay chancel. Cross finials at apeces of

porch and NW gable; slate roofs.

Small later flat roofed vestry at N corner.

Interior; timber arch brace roof supported by wallhead

corbels with incised Celtic motifs; stiff leaf detailing to

engaged column capitals flanking chancel; tall wooden

reredos with (?) Flemish panels set into finialled frame.

Fielded panelled pew, dated 1676 with Munro eagle and

initials at rear of church.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Reredos oak panels depict Ascension and Pentecost; gifted to

church by Sir Tollemache Sinclair who "bought them on the

Continent". Chancel gifted by Mrs Sinclair of Barrock in

memory of her younger son Norman Alexander Sinclair. Pew back

at rear of church initialled AMM and CM with Munro eagle

and date 1676, former family pew of Rev Andrew Munro of Coul,

Ross-shire from old St Peter's Church. Thurso, "parson

of Thurso 1655-1693". Married to Christian, daughter of John

Munro of Culcraigie, Ross-shire.

References

Bibliography

CAITHNESS COURIER June 2, 1905. Report of consecration of

chancel. J B Craven, HISTORY OF THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH

CAITHNESS (1908) pp.287-90.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SIR GEORGE'S STREET, EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF ST PETER AND THE HOLY ROOD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/03/2024 17:02