STIRLING RAILWAY STATION INCLUDING PLATFORM BUILDINGS, FOOTBRIDGES, MIDDLE SIGNAL BOX, NORTH SIGNAL BOX AND SEMAPHORE SIGNALS (Ref:41131)
This building is in the Stirling Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 03/02/1978.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 79772 93590.
James Miller, 1912-15 with W A Paterson (of the Caledonian Railway) engineer-in-chief. Outstanding multi-platform through and terminal railway station in the Scots manner with 2-island platforms, horse-shoe plan glazed concourse with central ticket office, two large Caledonian Railway signal boxes and associated semaphore signalling.STATION: W ELEVATION: Symmetrical, single storey sandstone ashlar; 3 crowstepped gables with linking crenellated sections. Central gable is taller with piended iron and glass porch (shortened). Carved monogram plaque flanked by 12-pane glazed lights; clock above set within decorative hoodmould. Ball finials to gable apex. Grey slate. Cast-iron railwater goods. Glazed awnings to E (platform) elevation with decorative cast-iron columns and pierced timber valence. Circular booking office with radial steel roof trusses forming glazed horse-shoe plan concourse.PRINCIPAL ISLAND PLATFORM: Long, rectangular-plan waiting room buildings to principal island platform with extensive piended glazed awnings and timber valences.FOOTBRIDGES: covered footbridge walkway over track to principal island platform. Access to smaller island platform via footbridge with stone abutments and latticed iron girder walkway.MIDDLE SIGNAL BOX: (Map Ref: NS 80116, 93427): 1900, Caledonian Railway (Northern Division) Type 2 signal box..Brick and timber with piended roof. 6 round-arched openings to brick base (blocked). 6-pane glazing to timber operating room above with 29 windows running length of trackside elevation, 2-bays projecting to right of centre; glazing returns to 3-bays to side elevations. Timber forestair rising to timber porch outshot to S end. Grey slate roof. INTERIOR: 96 lever pattern frame and associated signalling instruments including block bells and closing switches.NORTH SIGNAL BOX: (Map Ref: NS 79702, 93855): 1901, Caledonian Railway (Northern Division) Type 2 signal box. Brick and timber with piended roof. 4-pane glazing pattern to 4 round-arched openings to brick base. 6-pane timber glazing to operating room above with 21 windows running length of trackside elevation, 2-bays projecting to left of centre; glazing returns to 3-bays to side elevations. Timber forestair rising to timber porch outshot to S end. Grey slate roof. INTERIOR: 48 lever pattern frame and associated signalling equipment.SEMAPHORE SIGNALS: within station precinct; timber posts and arms controlled by signal boxes (2013).
Stirling is an outstanding early 20th century Railway Station in Scotland distinguished by its impressive cast-iron and glazed circular concourse with rounded ticket office to centre and decorative ironwork detailing to glazed concourse verandahs. The crowstepped gables and glazed porch to the principal elevation also add greatly to the interest of the streetscape. James Miller was an eminent Glaswegian architect renowned for his railway buildings. His circular glazed concourse at Wemyss Bay Railway Station (see separate listing) is of a similar design to his Stirling Station. Miller designed around 70 stations in Scotland during the course of his career.
Stirling Station was rebuilt after an earlier 1848 station by Perth architect Andrew Heiton (Junior) on the site. Heiton also designed a number of stations including Dunkeld and Birnham (see separate listing).
Signal boxes are a distinctive and now rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. Of more than 2000 signal boxes built across Scotland by 1948, around 150 currently survive (2013) with all pre-1948 mechanical boxes still in operation on the public network due to become obsolete by 2021. The two signal boxes at Stirling Station are the finest, and the largest, examples of their type in the country. The Type 2 design by the Caledonian Railway first appeared in 1889 but very few examples now remain (2013). Stirling Middle has the longest mechanincal lever frame in Scotland by some distance with 96 individual levers, reconditioned by British Railways (Scottish Region) in 1950. The projecting bay window to both boxes made it easier for signalmen to communicate certain directions, via a coloured flag system, to train drivers.
Change of Category from B to A (1993). List description and Statutory Address revised as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).
Previously listed as "Stirling Railway Station, Station Road, With North And Middle Signal Boxes And Associated Semaphore Signals".
Caledonian Railway Board minutes 29 Oct 1912, 1st Jan 1915 (36,291 pounds); T.S.N.H.A.S. (1926-7) p161. The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box - A Pictorial History and Guide To Designs (1986). Peter Kay and Derek Coe, Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland (2010 - 3rd Edition).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.