SHORE ROAD ARDEER PARISH CHURCH (Ref:41060)
This building is in the North Ayrshire Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 26/02/1980.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 26951 41130.
Hippolyte J Blanc, 1894-5. Perpendicular Gothic. Snecked red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Rectangular-plan church with south east transepts and south west octagonal tower. Door in W gable end under 4-centred arch, with moulded reveals and ogival hood mould. 2 narrow flanking lights 5-light window with perpendicular tracery above, the lower part blind and stepped over entrance arch. Angle buttress to NW with crocketted finial. Octagonal 2-stage tower, with corbelled shafts at the angles to the upper stage flanking bipartite belfry louvered lights. Battlemented parapet with truncated pinnacles at angles.INTERIOR (information from photographs, 2012). Timber pews, pulpit and communion table. Segmental-arched roof with timber detail; hammerbeams and brackets with carved decorative infill above hammerbeams. Panelled timber gallery to W end above timber and glass screen. Several stained glass windows, depicting Biblical characters and scenes.
Place of worship in use as such. This well-detailed, gabled church by the well-known architect Hippolyte Blanc has a distinctive octagonal tower, and is a good addition to the streetscape of Stevenson. The timber decorative detailing to the interior roof is a distinctive feature and the decoration is similar to the tracery in the external windows.
The church was originally built as a United Presbyterian church, using red sandstone from the nearby Ballochmyle quarry. The memorial stone was laid in 1894 and the church was officially opened in 1895. The church merged with the Church of Scotland in 1929. A spire was planned for the centre of the tower, but was never built. There were originally pinnacles to the tower parapet and these were removed in the 1940s, after storm damage.
Hippolyte J Blanc (1844-1917) was an eminent and prolific Edinburgh-based architect who was perhaps best known for his Gothic revival churches, including Coats Memorial church, in Paisley (see separate listing). He was also a keen antiquarian and many of his buildings, as here, evoke an earlier Scottish style.
List description updated, 2012.
2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1897). Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 04-09-12). D Rodger, Stevenson Ardeer Church, Centenary 1895-1995, (1995).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.