TOLBOOTH, WEST TERRACE, HIGH STREET, SOUTH QUEENSFERRY (Ref:40411)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1971.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NT 312951 678356.
17th century main block; steeple of 1720; belfry and spire 1807; clock 1887. 2-storey main block; square and snecked rubble at rear; harled at front; ashlar dressings. 4-stage steeple with spire; sandstone ashlar at ground; harled upper stages; ashlar dressings; string course at 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages; projecting cornice at eaves.MAIN BLOCKN ELEVATION: modern shop door and window to right of steeple; bipartite above; dormer window with arched pediment at attic. E ELEVATION: adjoining Rosebery Memorial Hall.S ELEVATION: 2 1st floor windows.Small pane sash and case windows. Slate roof; crowstepped W skew; ashlar stack at W gablehead; tall central stack at rear.STEEPLE: 4-faces; Queensferry Arms on 1st stage; war memorial below; small windows square in proportion to 2nd and 3rd stages on W, N and E faces; arched window at 4th stage on all faces; blocked on S. Projecting Jubilee Clock on 4 faces of octagonal steeple. Pend through tower W to E; stairs to High Street; well dated 1817. INTERIOR: greatly altered.
B-Group with Rosbery Memorial Hall. When it was first erected in the 17th century the Tolbooth was a prison. In 1770 the 1st floor was altered and fitted up as a courtroom and council chamber. In 1720 Henry Cuningham, MP for the Stirling Burghs, financed the building of the present steeple and a clock. This clock was replaced in 1888 by the current Jubilee Clock, a design that was not universally liked. MacGibbon and Ross believed the steeple to be 'greatly disfigured by the uncouth jubilee clock'. The steeple houses a bell inscribed: EX DONO HENRJCJ CVNJNGHAME DE BOQUHAN 1723. In 1750 another bell was also hung in the steeple. It was taken from Bailie John Syme's house to be hung at the Tolbooth and subsequently it was given to the Episcopal Church, where it remains. This bell bears the inscription: THE SEAMEN OF QVEENSFERRIE DID GIFT THIS BELL TO THE TOWNE ANNO 1694 ADRIAEN DOP FECIT. In the 1890s the Earl of Rosebery financed the building of a Memorial Hall adjoining the Tolbooth.
Area resurveyed in 2000. Descheduled in 2003. Listed building record updated 2014, formerly listed as, `West Terrace, Tolbooth'.
MacGibbon and Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND VOL.II (1842) p112; RCAHMS TENTH REPORT, COUNTIES OF MIDLOTHAN AND WEST LOTHIAN (1929), p234 (item 375); C McWillaim BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND. LOTHIAN (1980) p433; C McKean EDINGURGH. AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE (1992), p167; RCAHMS TOLBOOTHS AND TOWNHOUSES. CIVIC ARCHITECTURE IN SCOTLAND TO 1833 (1996), pp184-185 (item 78).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.