38 AND 40 HIGH STREET AND 21 EAST TERRACE, BLACK CASTLE (Ref:40386)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1308 7829.
Dated 1626 at E dormer; later alterations. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay dwelling house. Painted harl; broad painted margins.N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: late 18th century central moulded architrave doorpiece; single windows in end bays; 4 1st floor windows; 3 pedimented dormers with scroll cresting; 2 attic windows.E ELEVATION: single window in right bay at ground, 1st floor and attic.S ELEVATION: door in right bay at ground; modern forestair to door at 1st floor; outshot to W; irregular fenestration.W ELEVATION: door in left bay; windows above.Timber sash and case windows; modern attic windows. Slate roof; crowstepped skews; tall stacks at gableheads.
The dormer pediments are all inscribed: the east one with the date, a love knot and hearts; the centre one with WLMS; the west one with WL and a love knot. The initial WL and MS refer to William Lowrie and his wife Marion Speddie. William's sister-in-law, Janet Lowrie, was condemned to death as a witch and was probably burnt at Ferry Muir, which was where many witches were executed in the 17th century. The house has been much altered: in the 1950s it was used as a Mission Hall (see photograph in NMRS ref. G/WL/179); in the 1970s it was owned by a design consultancy; and in the early 1980s it was converted into 3 residential units. It is probable that the front of the house was once arcaded and it is rumoured that there is a secret stairway and tunnel leading to the shore which would have been used by smugglers. However, no sign of this stairway exists today.
1st edition O S Map 1856; RCAHMS TENTH REPORT, COUNTIES OF MID LOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN (1929) p234 Item 374; C McWilliam BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND. LOTHIAN (1980) p434; W F Hendrie DISCOVERING WEST LOTHIAN (1986), p130; Queensferry Association QUEENSFERRY. A GUIDED WALK (1986) p.18; C McKean EDINBURGH. AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE (1992), p166; The Third Statistical Account of Scotland Vol. XXI (1992) p223.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.