CLOSEBURN CASTLE (Ref:4004)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 907 921.
Late 14th century rectangular-plan tower house with mostly 18th and 19th century alterations and low additions. Out- buildings to west. TOWER HOUSE: 3 storeys over vaulted basement, small-paned irregularly-spaced windows mostly altered, with segmental heads; coursed rubble, ashlar dressings; gabled stone slab roof with ball finial and ridge stack all enclosed by parapet latter crenellated in 19th century: cap house over north wallhead; Interior: yett survives, and iron-studded door; wheel stair at north; now 2 rooms on each floor, north ground floor room vaulted with plain plaster ceiling ribs and masks; bedroom cupboard on upper floor has (re-set) plaster mask over door; attic also vaulted. ADDITIONS: (mostly red ashlar) roofed forestair at west to original door; castellated porch (after 1856) at north, segmental-arched east-facing 2-leaf door with side lights, recessed piended bay adjoining with segmental-arched window (also east-facing) flanked by blind square openings having margins linked with eaves band. Asymmetrical rear elevation, kitchen linked with outbuildings. Corniced octagonal or diamond flues; slate roof.
After the mansion house of Closeburn was destroyed by fire
1748, the Kirkpatrick family returned to the castle "fitting
it up as their residence" (Ramage). A Rowan, in SHAMBELLIE,
1982, p.16, notes that David Bryce, architect, had visted
Shambellie ".... while on business in the area at Capenoch
and Closeburn tower" (July 1854). Porch not shown on 1st ed
O.S. (surveyed 1856). View in Grose's ANTIQUITIES shows a
RCAHM, INVENTORY 1920. no 59 (incl plans and section) Grose,
ANTIQUITIES OF SCOTLAND, 1789 vol I, p.150 (incl
MacGibbon & Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE vol
III, 1889 (1977 reprint) p.128.
1982 sale catalogue in NMRS; 1845 sale particulars in SRO
GD 224/511/3. R M F Watson, CLOSEBURN, ETC 1901 Chapter V.
SRO RHP 9454.
COUNTRY LIFE 10.1.1947.
C T Ramage, DRUMLANRIG CASTLE AND THE DOUGLASES, 1876, p.184.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.